Question Computer is very slow only when charging

Nov 10, 2020
First, I know someone posted a thread like this but the solutions didn't work for me so I decided to ask. My computer is old so it may affect something (not that old it used to have windows 7 but it was updated to windows 10 so again not windows XP old but definitely may have some issues). also, it's not low on space since I have about 63 GB left and my computer hasn't given me a notification saying my space was low. Also, the lagging issues completely stop when it isn't charging. I've set my battery priority to care more about performance, changed the battery plan, during games I've set the graphics to the lowest possible & yet still it's slow when it's charging.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
m not sure but the computer says Dell Precision M4500 if that means something?
Yes, that means you should have a fairly capable, older rig.

I would suspect heat is at the root of the problem. Is your battery getting unusually warm when charging? If you remove the battery itself and just power the system with the AC adapter (assuming you have the proper Dell AC adapter), how does the system perform?

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/precision-m4500-specsheet.pdf

Nov 10, 2020
You set your battery performance to high but what about performance when plugged in? It should be the highest settings

Sorry if I was confusing. What I meant was even when I set the performance to prioritize performance when it's charging it is still slow. & even if I set it to prioritize battery life when it isn't charging it's still pretty fast.

Nov 10, 2020
Yes, that means you should have a fairly capable, older rig.

I would suspect heat is at the root of the problem. Is your battery getting unusually warm when charging? If you remove the battery itself and just power the system with the AC adapter (assuming you have the proper Dell AC adapter), how does the system perform?

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/precision-m4500-specsheet.pdf

I'm not sure what you mean by the other part but the computer gets hot when charging since it takes a long time for it to get to full battery. About 5 - 6 hours for a full battery that lasts only 1 hour. Pretty much most of the time the computer is charging and it's usually hot. I believe the battery was replaced since the computer had a problem where it would die as soon as it was unplugged so that may mean something.