Conecting a subwoofer to an amp

eatingdonuts

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
So i intend to buy a new yamaha sub (YSTSW012B). I was wondering since im new with speakers what amp do i need? And also i would like a really cheap amp that i could also use with 2x60w rms speakers.

Thanks in advance

eatingdonuts

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I am actually buying an active sub from auna (changed my decision) but i will still connect the speakers to the amp, unless its better to connect speakers to the sub idk :/

If you are buying a self-powered sub then yes, the amp should have an RCA OUT labelled SUB OUT.

If you are intending to go 5.1 in the near future, may as well do it now, and yes you can just hook up the 2.1 and during configuration tell the box to "surround speakers NO."

OK, first the good news, the YELLOW RCA jack labelled "S W OUT" is your subwoofer connector.

Now the VERY BAD NEWS - This amp, as attractive as it looks is a Piece Of Something, like we Yanks want to say. Why? IT HAS ZERO DIGITAL INPUT whatsoever. Soon enough you want to hook up your game console, your blue ray player, your other digital components and you have nowhere to hook them up to! This is usually not acceptable, unless you are telling me you buying this thing for one thing and one thing only, maybe that's why it's so cheap.

Desirable: multiple HDMI inputs, multiple optical Toslink inputs.

eatingdonuts

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Well i am buying it for one thing and one thing only...PC

Since i play games, listen to music, watch movies on pc it shouldnt be a problem but what im wondering now is that my speakers are 60wrms and this reciever only has 120w front speakers and 50w side speakers so im thinking would it be better to connect my 60w speakers to 120w or 50w.

And also what i was thinking was to just use a stereo amp and connect the sub using high level input and use banana plugs and stuff

So tell me your suggestion on this (for my opinionit would be to use banana plugs and a stereo amp)

Thanks

Ugghhh...

1. You must connect Front-to-Front, and Rear-to-Rear (Rear=surround), you are not allowed to switch at wimp. 60w speakers to 120w amp not ideal but just be careful not to turn it all the way up, keep it at 60% or less u should be fine.

2. This amp does not power the sub, so there is no high level input for the sub. That's the short answer, I don't know, maybe I don't want to know why you want a high level input on the sub.

eatingdonuts

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I know that that cant power the sub but still i found a guide to how to connect a sub to a stereo amp and i thought it was quite usefull

Guide link (CNET): https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-hook-up-a-subwoofer-to-a-stereo-system/

and also i listen to music at 50% max but when im home alone i like to put it to max soo idk about that, i might aswell find a different sorround reciever