Conexant smartaudio HD - driver problem after windows update, no sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevAng

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
Hi, sorry if I've started this thread in the wrong place - I've never needed to request help with a computer problem before.
I have a Lenovo G510 running windows 8.1 64 bit, bought about 6 weeks ago. Installed windows updates earlier today, including an optional one for the conexant audio device, and now there is no sound. There is an exclamation mark next to the device in device manager and an error code for the driver that states 'Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling many many times, including downloading the driver from the Lenovo website and using the driver from the D drive, always with the same error:
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
Conexant SmartAudio HD
Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)

I've also tried doing a system restore to before the update but this also failed with the message 'access denied'. Update history states the audio device update was successful.
The events tab in device manager shows a list stating 'device installed' over and over. The information for the most recent event is as follows:
Driver Management concluded the process to install driver g13plmwa.inf_amd64_007bf12cd0f50a21\g13plmwa.inf for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5115&SUBSYS_17AAC041&REV_1001\4&2426718C&0&0001 with the following status: 0x0.
I don't really know how to read all the info in the details tab but the capabilities property has a value of 00000000 which doesn't sound promising to me!
Status property reads:
DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Sorry for the very long post, really hope someone out there can help, have spent most of today trying to sort this. I was already incredibly frustrated with windows 8, now I'd quite happily murder anyone involved in the development of it with my bare hands.

emacdave

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015

Works on my Toshiba, but reduces the memory down from 8gb to 3gb!!

emacdave

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
Apologies for the repeated threads above but I tried TeacherDRP but changed the "Maximum memory" to 8192 (=8gb) and got sound. I would suggest trying this solution but inputting the memory that your computer has installed (1024mb = 1GB) so if you have 4gb memory = "Maximum memory" of 4096.

When I checked initially the "Maximum memory" box was unticked with a blank input, so this may need setting to allow correct memory allocation.

Viktor_6

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015

I literally cannot believe all my issues I've been having with the shitty conex Audio Drivers could be fixed with this simple ass solution, incredible thank you, you da real MVP

ipiccolo

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

I had more than a month with this problem in my LENOVO G50. Incredible that was the solution.
Thank you very

Status
Not open for further replies.