Confused - HP vs Dell?? -- For Solid modelling and analysis!!

firebonez

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hi... This is my first post on Tom's Hardware forum!!

Well as the title of my thread suggests, I'm planning to get a new laptop. I'm a mechanical engineering student and the I'll be using the laptop mainly for solid modelling and analysis.

I'm a movie buff too!! Will be watching a lot of movies on the laptop too!!

So I have actually shortlisted the following models:

HP DV6-6170SE (http://www.jumbocorp.com/prd_details.asp?prdt=42239)

HP DV6-6121SE (http://www.jumbocorp.com/prd_details.asp?prdt=42239)

HP DV6-6120SE (http://www.jumbocorp.com/prd_details.asp?prdt=42238)

Dell XPS15 - L502-XPS (http://www.jumbocorp.com/prd_details.asp?prdt=69096)

I'm staying in India but I plan on getting the lap from Dubai.

I could not find any reviews for the HP DV6-6170SE.

The HP models offer a much better package (is it future proof??) at a lower price point compared to the Dell laptop. I have heard that there are heating issues with the HP laptops and that their After Sales Support is not as good as Dell. So should I be concerned if I purchase HP??

Also since I'm a student I can't afford a laptop above AED 4000 (approx $1100)

One more question, should I get a 1366x768 res screen or a F-HD 1080p one?? I have read that 1080p on a 15.6 screen will be an overkill??

Also please feel free to suggest any other brands/models!!

firebonez

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Since none of you guys has replied, I guess I will put it down using the FAQ format!! :D

1. What is your budget?
- $800-$1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- 15+ inches

3. What screen resolution do you want?
- Not sure about that!! Do I need 1080p res on a 15inch screen?? Would I have to strain my eyes to read text!! Please suggest!!

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- 70% Desktop Replacement lap + 30% Mobility

5. How much battery life do you need?
- 3-5hrs

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- I don't play games!!(Hehe..) But my younger bro will want to!!

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
- Mainly CAD, Solid Modelling and Analysis, movies, emails, facebook, powerpoint presentations, and rarely some photo editing!!

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
- Atleast 500GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- None

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- 3 to 5 years!!

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- DVD ROM/ Writer will suffice ... However it would be great if it had BluRay Drive!!

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- Like : Dell, HP, Samsung, Sony (in that order)
Dislike : Asus, MSI, Lenovo, Apple, Packard Bell, IBM

13. What country do you live in?
- India... but I will be purchasing it from Dubai, UAE.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- Well as I said I my prev. post I'm a student, so I need a laptop that offers the most bang for the buck!!

wilfy123

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi firebonez,

Go for HP DV 6170 SE, it's the perfect package with 2 GB ded graphics which is ultimate while using CAD etc. Heating problem is common in all i7, coz of more cores (any brand u go)

Moreover with it's beats audio it;s a perfect combination.

Dell is also good but i prefer HP.

You can get it for AED 3200/ no need to spend 4K.

Wilfy:

screwthelimits

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Hey wilfy,

Dude are you sure DV 6 6170se is only 3200/- ??? If then, from where ??

screwthelimits

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Dude wilfy,

are you sure you will get it for 3200 AED ?? If then, from where ?? because when i checked the last offer i could find for this model was 3799 AED !!

GauravR

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

GauravR

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
hi firebonez,
a couple (or more) weeks ago, i was also in search of a laptop, and had ended up buying dv6 6170se, and believe me, its great. In fact i was about to reply to this post then, but there was a problem then. I dunno if you have bought it yet, and whether you are money conscisous or not, hp is both cheaper and better. It cost me approx Rs 46250 (IC.) from Doha,QATAR.

When i bought it, i was really a bit tensed as there were no any reviews about this laptop at that time, maybe because it is a VERY NEW model.

If you need the system rating .. here it goes...

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (2nd generation) 7.5

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.5

Graphics Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics 6.6

Gaming graphics 3813 MB Total available graphics memory 6.6

Primary hard disk 16GB Free (227GB Total) 5.9

Windows 7 Home Premium

So the system base score is 5.9

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 465 GB

Graphics

Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 4325 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 2560 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1765 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.830.6.1000
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Slots Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital cards,
Multimedia cards

Ports 1 VGA; 1 HDMI; 2 headphone-out; 1 microphone-in; 2 USB 2.0; 2 USB 3.0; 1 RJ45

I have to add.... it has a switchable graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6770M (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated) which is a class one graphics card , which is a very powerful one, more than enough for us :D If you buy a more expensive dell laptop with similar specs, youll get a graphics cards (nvdia) which is of class 2. Although it doesnt make much difference, but what the hell!!! :D . And another thing, it does get a bit hot, only if you are playing heavy graphics games , but not much to worry. You can even control the speed of the cooling fan.

In short, it is one of the most powerful laptops at present date.

P.S. i am also an engineering student(electronics).. and feel happy to help you choose. dv6.. go for it :D

P.P.S I love the fingerprint reader, and the indicator light around the touch pad.

P.P.P.S I posted this through my new laptop ( dv6-6170se )