Connect Audio Technica to a Sony TV

Feb 19, 2018
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to connect my Audio Technica AT-LP120BK to my TV (Sony XBR65X900E 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD) but don't hear anything.
I was able to plug it to my computer and it works perfectly. However, when I try to plug it using the "video in" in the TV, I can see the TV recognize it (as I can select this input) but do not hear anything.

I read in other threads that in Samsung TV, you should also plug a video input in order for this work. If that is the case here, do you know where I need to plug the video to?

Solution
If the TV requires an active video source to be present before you can select the input you can use another source that has one to fool the TV.
Since TV speakers are usually pretty bad I hope that this is a temporary hookup. Even a soundbar with aux input will be better. A real audio system better still.

psoohoo

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
isnt this a turntable?

phonographs signal come right off the stylus and is very low
Most receivers will automatically amplify the PHONO input as oppose to all other inputs (like CASSETTE DECK or any other RCA inputs)
apparently this has an option for PHONO level or amplified LINE output.

Since the TV expects a LINE level input, you need to select that option

As for why you are using the VIDEO in, im not sure how that works, the output should only have two audio channels (L/R) and should go into the corresponding port. If you need the TV to sense the port to activate it, not sure how you will need to do this. See if your TV can leave the port on always. I know my SONY has that option to allow to be selectable, even is there is nothing connected.

If the TV requires an active video source to be present before you can select the input you can use another source that has one to fool the TV.
Since TV speakers are usually pretty bad I hope that this is a temporary hookup. Even a soundbar with aux input will be better. A real audio system better still.

Solution