Connect old home theater speakers to pc

Harsh_Vyas

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I have penasonic 5.1 home theater system but the main DVD unit is dead and can't repairable. All 5.1 speakers including subwoofer is working. I recently build new pc which have 5.1 sound output. My question is how to connect that speakers with pc to get HD 5.1 audio?

Solution
I never liked hooking speakers directly to a computer due to the draw on the power supply. I've always preferred to go through a separate stereo system.
That being said, let's assume you mean you have the speakers, but no separate amplifier. I'm going to further assume your speakers use binding posts, such as...
260-303_HR_0.jpg

or
s-l1000.jpg

if that's the case, then what you need is a few of these.
https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-STEREO-MINI-PLUGS-OPEN/dp/B00H0KANNC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W1XZ9XW9FCY9FCTXTAFR...

jdlech2

Commendable
Mar 27, 2018
I never liked hooking speakers directly to a computer due to the draw on the power supply. I've always preferred to go through a separate stereo system.
That being said, let's assume you mean you have the speakers, but no separate amplifier. I'm going to further assume your speakers use binding posts, such as...
260-303_HR_0.jpg

or
s-l1000.jpg

if that's the case, then what you need is a few of these.
https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-STEREO-MINI-PLUGS-OPEN/dp/B00H0KANNC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W1XZ9XW9FCY9FCTXTAFR
71DprUNzMSL._SL1500_.jpg

Just make sure you set the computer to audio out and not digital out.

Solution
You can't hook passive speakers to a PC. If the subwoofer has it's own power cord and build in amp then that could connect to the sub out on the PC. The other speakers would require a 5 channel amp. If the sub is also passive you would need a 6 channel amp.
I suspect it would be cheaper to just get a 5.1 speaker set made for PC which would have all that built in.

you could get 3 2-channel amps like these, and use 3.5mm TRS cables like these to connect them up to your PC audio outputs, just use one for L/R, one for surrounds, and the other for the center/sub.

The only thing you may need is a crossover for the sub, maybe something like this would work (of course only use on the sub output only) and you would have to break out the center/sub 3.5mm to RCA so more adapters and RCA patch panels... IMO a fun project!