Connect speakers from Receiver to TV

smb875

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
I have a new Samsung HDTV and I want to connect the rca speakers from my older Onkyo receiver to the tv. The tv only has HDMI connections and an audio optical port and the receiver does not have an audio optical port or HDMI port. I bought a RCA to HDMI converter but it doesn’t work. Is there a specific type I should get?

Candan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
Not necessarily. IF your TV has "ARC" marked by one of the HDMI jacks, it will work back to your receiver. "Audio return channel"

smb875

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

Candan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014

Did you get it sorted out?

smb875

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

smb875

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Not sure if I’m explaining myself correctly. The RCA wires that come from the Onkyo receiver would plug into the ports on my old tv and I could then hear the sound from the tv via the separate speakers attached to the receiver. This new tv only has HDMI, HDMI ARC and Optical ports, which the older Onkyo receiver does not. The question is how do I connect the port (whichever one) on the back to of the tv to the receiver in order to hear the sound from the speakers? I just ordered the optical cable with the converter (based upon another response to my question) but not sure if that is the correct device to make this work. Thanks for trying to help this electronics-challenged person figure this out!

smb875

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

Got the optical to RCA adaptor- it worked!!

Thank you!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 4
E Streaming Video & TVs 1