Connecting my home theater system to my TV?

Dec 20, 2018
Hi guys, not really a tech savy, so please be gentle
I own a SAMSUNG UE32J4500AW Smart TV and a PHILIPS HOME THEATER SYSTEM HTS3357
The TV has 2 HDMI ports and 1 optical, but the HTS doesn't have an optical port. Now, I can watch the typical TV channels and the sound comes from speakers just fine, but when I try watching in-built TV apps( like Youtube or Netflix) the sound only comes from the in-built speakers, not from my home theather system.How should I make the connections, and what cables should I use?Please, if possible, explain it so I could understand it, again, I'm not a tech savy
P.S. Just to be clear, I want to watch Netflix or Youtube or things like that on my TV, but with the sound coming from my HTS. Thank you!

TV ---- (Optical cable) ---> Converter -----(RCA cable)-----> HT.

Some of these converters can be bi-directional, but the one I linked you is uni-directional and because I use one myself know it should work for the purpose as intended.

but should't the converter be coaxial to optical since I have a optical OUT port on TV?
Sounds like reversed logic. The Apps run on your TV so the signal direction is TV --> HT. Convert what the TV puts out, to something what the HT understands.

Dec 20, 2018

Alright, thank you for your answer, but I still need one coaxial cable and one optical one, right?
and also, sorry if it does sound dumb, but should't the converter be coaxial to optical since I have a optical OUT port on TV?

TV ---- (Optical cable) ---> Converter -----(RCA cable)-----> HT.

Some of these converters can be bi-directional, but the one I linked you is uni-directional and because I use one myself know it should work for the purpose as intended.

but should't the converter be coaxial to optical since I have a optical OUT port on TV?
Sounds like reversed logic. The Apps run on your TV so the signal direction is TV --> HT. Convert what the TV puts out, to something what the HT understands.

Dec 20, 2018

Thank you so much! Perfect explanation!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 9
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 8
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
F Streaming Video & TVs 1