Connecting my subwoofer with my laptop

BassVik

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I recently switched my desktop with a new Lenovo y510p. I have a standard 2.1 HiFi audio system ( Phillips Spa 5300). The problem is that my sub is nowhere as near as powerful connected to my laptop compared to when its connected to my desktop. Phillips spa 5300 is 100W (50W RMS)

Edit: Dolby home theater vol 4 software came with he laptop.

Solution
You could try getting a USB amplifier DAC. They can run hundreds of dollars, but you can find decent ones well within $100 (around $50). I don't know how well the USB ones drive speakers, but one will improve audio quality at the very least. :)

Try playing around with the EQ settings in your audio manager, too. I have an older desktop at home with a decent but old 2.1 speaker setup, and they require adjustment in the Realtek audio software. Otherwise, they're terrible in the mid and high range.
Laptops usually use a basic Realtek chip and there's not much amplification. Chances are that your desktop hardware was able to drive the subwoofer more; it would be akin to listening to a pair of IEMs connected to an iPod, then saying "Hey, these don't sound as loud or have as much presence as opposed to when they're connected to my home theater amplifier or DAC."

Were you using a sound card in your desktop or just the onboard audio chip? That can make a difference too.

You could try getting a USB amplifier DAC. They can run hundreds of dollars, but you can find decent ones well within $100 (around $50). I don't know how well the USB ones drive speakers, but one will improve audio quality at the very least. :)

Try playing around with the EQ settings in your audio manager, too. I have an older desktop at home with a decent but old 2.1 speaker setup, and they require adjustment in the Realtek audio software. Otherwise, they're terrible in the mid and high range.

Solution

BassVik

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
OK, so in order to make my audio system work on full potential, how powerful usb amplifier do I need. Surely I don't need a $100 amp for a 40W RMS sub and 2x5W RMS satelites.

I am speaking blindly here because i know nothing on this topic. All i want is to hear that BOOM coming out of my sub again.