Solved! Connecting subwoofer to Speaker/Laptop

Oct 15, 2019
New to audio just a head up. I bought a Klipsch subwoofer to go with my Edifier 1700bt. This is my audio setup for my dorm room so I'm using a Dell XPS 15 as my computer. Noob mistake and thought all you do is connect the sub to the bookshelf speaker but apparently not. So how do I get my subwoofer to work with my setup? Which adapter or cable do I got to buy? The subwoofer only has a Line In, and the speaker only has a pc in and aux in.

Solution
Here is what you need:

From PC to "Y splitter":
This splits the mike from the headphone. Use only the headphone side. This plugs into your Dell and then plugs into the Y splitter.
https://www.amazon.com/ENVEL-Conver...multaneously/dp/B01M0T6PSF?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

This Y splitter takes the stereo signal from the headphone side of the adapter plugged into your laptop and splits it in two:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Extension-Earphone-Compatible/dp/B00LM0ZGK6

Order 2 of these cables, according to the length you need. Both plug into the "Y splitter". One plugs into the sub's L/LFE (WHITE) jack and the other (RED) plugs into the right. Both channels are summed into one, internally at...

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
What's the model# of your Klipsch sub? I had a feeling your sub was active, bc you mentioned a line-in connection. Your sub is active if it plugs into the wall. You're good; this should be very easy.

To get the signal from your PC in order to amplify is simple - you have a headphone jack. You'll need a compatible STEREO plug with cable, a "Y" adapter, so you can split the signal from the jack on your Dell, between your sub and the RCA connectors on your powered Edifiers. Use the gain and crossover on the sub to tailor the sound to suit you. If the sub has a phase switch, versus continuously variable (0-180 knob), experiment with room position, phasing and also rotating the sub 90 degrees either way. You want the sound waves from your sat's (Edifiers) and the sub to be 'in-phase' as close as possible. Bass can suffer if they aren't. Think of it this way: you want the cones all moving in a direction which will reinforce the sound waves. An out-of-phase scenario will CANCEL certain bass frequencies. Good luck! You have a nice rig and it should sound great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al319
Oct 15, 2019
What's the model# of your Klipsch sub? I had a feeling your sub was active, bc you mentioned a line-in connection. Your sub is active if it plugs into the wall? You're good; this should be very easy.

To get the signal from your PC in order to amplify is simple - you have a headphone jack. You'll need a compatible STEREO plug with cable, a "Y" adapter, so you can split the signal from the jack on your Dell, between your sub and the RCA connectors on your powered Edifiers. Use the gain and crossover on the sub to tailor the sound to suit you. If the sub has a phase switch, versus continuously variable (0-180 knob), experiment with room position, phasing and also rotating the sub 90 degrees either way. You want the sound waves from your sat's (Edifiers) and the sub to be 'in-phase' as close as possible. Bass can suffer if they aren't. Think of it this way: you want the cones all moving in a direction which will reinforce the sound waves. An out-of-phase scenario will CANCEL certain bass frequencies. Good luck! You have a nice rig and it should sound great.
It's the K100-SW. Thanks for your help, gonna have to try to digest what you're saying XD. No cap, could you put links from Amazon of the parts I need cause I'm still trying to figure out what all these cables do.

As of right now what I need is a duo RCA cable to 3.5mm jack, a y adapter, and a stereo plug with cable.

What type of y adapter?

Can you link the stereo plug with cable on amazon? Also what am I plugging the stereo plug too as in from what to what? Is the stereo plug going in the L/LFE or the R?

Thank you again for your help, you can definitely tell I have no clue about all these things. However, this was a learning experience!

Last edited:
New to audio just a head up. I bought a Klipsch subwoofer to go with my Edifier 1700bt. This is my audio setup for my dorm room so I'm using a Dell XPS 15 as my computer. Noob mistake and thought all you do is connect the sub to the bookshelf speaker but apparently not. So how do I get my subwoofer to work with my setup? Which adapter or cable do I got to buy? The subwoofer only has a Line In, and the speaker only has a pc in and aux in.

The sub is for a dorm room, as in with other people all around you? Is the room and floor sound proof decently? If not, you will find a lot of knocking at your door to turn that thing off.

Oct 15, 2019
The sub is for a dorm room, as in with other people all around you? Is the room and floor sound proof decently? If not, you will find a lot of knocking at your door to turn that thing off.
Hahaha, probably, but I go to UMASS, which is known to be a partying school but also a research school at the same time. But the area where I live, is where the partying people are, and the people on my floor usually go out to parties or they too also have parties in their dorm. I also plan to live in a house with a couple of friends next year, in terms of in the summer and winter when I go home, they won't be in use, cause my parents can't even deal with my small bose revolve speaker XD

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Here is what you need:

From PC to "Y splitter":
This splits the mike from the headphone. Use only the headphone side. This plugs into your Dell and then plugs into the Y splitter.
https://www.amazon.com/ENVEL-Conver...multaneously/dp/B01M0T6PSF?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

This Y splitter takes the stereo signal from the headphone side of the adapter plugged into your laptop and splits it in two:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Extension-Earphone-Compatible/dp/B00LM0ZGK6

Order 2 of these cables, according to the length you need. Both plug into the "Y splitter". One plugs into the sub's L/LFE (WHITE) jack and the other (RED) plugs into the right. Both channels are summed into one, internally at the sub. The other cable is connected to the sat's PC or AUX inputs (see manual). https://www.edifier.com/int/en/speakers/r1700bt-bluetooth-bookshelf

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...words_four_browse-bin:7800972011&s=aht&sr=1-1

Let me know if you have any questions.

You'll be the life of any party with this rig!

Reactions: Al319
Solution