Consumers Won't Pay Xbox One Second Account Installation Fee, Shops Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Honorable
May 8, 2012
As many have pointed out, this is only getting closer to alignment with the pc gaming world, but by the same token, console gaming had always been the cheap alternative to PC gaming through second hand games and cheap consoles (comparitively of course). Yes we are coming closer to alignment with PC gaming when it comes to game ownership but that doesnt make the death of second hand gaming any less painful.

cepheid

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Ahhh so what they're saying is you still can't trade a game with a friend without going through a third party who will then markup the price to compensate for the Microsoft fee? Sounds a lot better.....

joe bode

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Um...No consumers will because gamespot will just pay you less for your used games to make up for the extra fee.
I mean sure they could just make less money but then they would really be going out of business.

joe bode

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Um...No consumers will because gamespot will just pay you less for your used games to make up for the extra fee.
I mean sure they could just make less money but then they would really be going out of business.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
So who will pay if I sell e game on Amazon? I don't believe these reports...I REALLY think these activations apply to DIGITAL downloads only, and not disc games.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
@ whyso....errr...how exactly...by charging you as much for a used game as for a new game...does that make any sense to you?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Considering that companies like GameStop have been making massive profits from these used game sales, they had to know one day it would come to an end. Microsoft is not going to be the only company doing this. Consider next generation movies and other digital media based companies.

renami9

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So basically, if there is going to be an activation fee or whatever, its the consumers who will have to pay the price in the end. got it.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
it was already obvious that stores like gamestop would HAVE to cover the account fee for every used game they sell. its really the only way they can sell you the used game. the real problem isnt that people are complaining about any fee for buying a used game, people are complaining about the fee after lending/borrowing the game. this statement doesnt change anything since the fee is still there for the people who would be most affected by it.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
No matter what anyone says, I don't think any manufacturer, publisher or anyone getting a cut of used product sales other than the previous owner is right. This is nothing but another money grab by big corporations. They've never had this opportunity before and so they are taking full advantage of it. It's also why the Cloud is being pushed down everyone's throats... more control means more profit.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
So really, the purchaser will pay for the re-activation because the shop reselling the game will tack that price onto the re-sold game.

Status
Not open for further replies.