Consumers Won't Pay Xbox One Second Account Installation Fee, Shops Will

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Gawd, how difficult is it? Register on one account and reregister a game to a different account, effectively unregistering it from the previous account, using an authentic MAC-like address. Ban the spoofers. Problem solved. Everyone's happy and can buy/sell secondhand.
Or did someone else (i.e. Apple, Sony, Nintendo) already patent this simple idea?

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Looking at AppStore and Google Play selling like hot cake.
MS should aware that it is NOT the resell / 2nd hand market that kills the game industry, but the Availability and Affordability.
If Xbox Games are not Region Lock (really Fxxx all the international player. I have 5 copies of Xbox game which unable to run because of the Region Lock) and so pricy (even compare to the same title on the PC), many of us would be very happy to purchase original.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
if sony is like nope we aren't doing any of that we will not have anyone pay any fees for used games and we will leave it alone like it is now on the ps3, then Xbox One will be seriously F'ed. seeing as what drives a lot of the gaming console market is used games. You would see nothing but ps4 used games at places like gamestop instead and no store will pay a reactivation fee and only get 10% profit. if they can support a popular alternative console system.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
if sony is like nope we aren't doing any of that we will not have anyone pay any fees for used games and we will leave it alone like it is now on the ps3, then Xbox One will be seriously F'ed. seeing as what drives a lot of the gaming console market is used games. You would see nothing but ps4 used games at places like gamestop instead and no store will pay a reactivation fee and only get 10% profit. if they can support a popular alternative console system.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If this is the current trend we may see consoles become more expensive than a PC with superior specs in the long run. The extremely high prices of consoles until they have greatly aged keeps going up. Mix this with increasing game prices and now even increased used game prices and suddenly those PC game sales like on Steam would eventually cost the consumer far less in building a library and eventually actually be saving money. We could be talking about thousands of dollars saved during the lifespan of the console by going with a PC instead.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is bull. What if I want to sell my game on Ebay? Would I have to pay a fee? Will only big businesses (ie GameStop) sell games as used?
The thing that makes console gaming attractive is a lower price point for a decent gaming experience. Why complicate it? Just allow the resale of the darn games like they do it today or if the goal is truly to eliminate piracy, go back to game cartridges.
But what game company wants to commit to a tested and finished game they can't patch like back in the old days?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Vote with your feet. I currently have both consoles of this gen. Whichever one does this DON'T buy. It's that simple. If they both do it we are screwed but once they realise they shouldn't mess with the consumer, they'll soon back down.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well, well... it will cost only 53$ to reactivate your old game... Cheap as... van think anything in this place...
This may be actually the future of other devices allso... Wii U is starting to be the best bet in this generation of consoles... A little bit better than Xbox 360, but without these "advancements". But it does not mean a lot. This will still sell like hot cakes during the next holiday season... How about PS4 it should be possible to sell those games in old fachioned way? If it does it may have a "slight" advantage in that way...

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
There's seems to be an assumption that all used games are "traded-in" into a used-game retailer. I think most used games are sold in private sales. MS is acting like they aren't killing the used game market, but that's exactly what they're doing by restricting used games sales to "authorized retailers".

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Just don't forget Steam's little dirty secret either...
Your account + all games dies with you - it cannot be "passed on" to Your next generation :(

tristangl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
{Nevilence Wrote : ...console gaming had always been the cheap alternative to PC gaming through second hand games and cheap consoles (comparitively of course).}
That is soo untrue... we have steam and we can buy brand new 6month old games for about 10$... used games or not... Console cant beat that

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
F you Microsoft. You either screw the consumers or the retailers.
I don't need a console, but i'll buy me a PS4.....in your face you greedy bastards.

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
I imagine deals will be cut with gamefly/Redbox for disc images with different DRM, at a price to the rental companies. We may see some of these copies "leaked". Personally I agree with most sentiments here, the only "nextgen" console I plan to buy is the Ouya.
I'm more excited about the prospect of a well-cobbled hack of the kinect2 combined with the occulus than any graphic upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.