converting tv speakers into headphone jack

Byegge

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
Ok so this might be a long shot but i need to set up my old 8 years plus vizio tv to work with headphones. Before you jump to some converter as a solution, this tv has zero audio out options. I want to mount this tv on a wall in front of my treadmill, and will need headphones to hear it over the noise of the treadmill. I could buy a new 32in vizio for about 200 bucks but i would rather not if i can get away with trying my idea first. Since the tv will only be used with the treadmill i was thinking of taking the tv apart and converting the speakers into a single headphone jack. i would remove the speakers and drill a hole through the speaker grate to mount the jack. Im handy enough to take apart the tv and can solder wires just fine. is this doable. would this work in theory. If i cant get this to work i will have to buy a new tv, but then will still have to buy a digital out to headphone converter and i dont think those work with the tv remote to change volume. Any insight into this would be great. Thanks.

Solution
Found this on the web, you want to buy a jack that has 5 pins as shown:

image006.jpg

1. Ground.
2. Stereo Input L
3. To Speaker L
4. To Speaker R
5. Stereo Input R.

Notice when no plug, 2 shorts to 3 and 4 shorts to 5, enabling speakers. But when plug is in those contacts will be broken and the input signal instead go into the plug.
Found this on the web, you want to buy a jack that has 5 pins as shown:

image006.jpg

1. Ground.
2. Stereo Input L
3. To Speaker L
4. To Speaker R
5. Stereo Input R.

Notice when no plug, 2 shorts to 3 and 4 shorts to 5, enabling speakers. But when plug is in those contacts will be broken and the input signal instead go into the plug.

Solution