Copyright Alert System Pushed Back (Again) to Early 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
This leaves me with mixed feelings. On one point, if you are doing something illegal, getitng a warning about it i belive is a great thing. For example, in some countries downloading pirated material is legal, yet submiting that material is illegal.

However, if that law should one day change, beeing warned about it seems a great idea to me.

Now dont get me wrong, i dont agree with piracy, but the prices that you see sometimes in stores is flat out crazy.
For example, i like to buy the music i like when the price drop a bit.
Most people that are against piracy belive that pirates create losses in the industry, as they are not buying the music, and they assume they would if piracy was impossible.

However i find this only to be partially true, as i live in Poland now, where i never downloaded anything, and instead of buying or looking for pirate sources, i listen to records i do from the radio.

As a final note, I wonder if groups like annonymus are going to get into this debate as well, since most of the hackers i ever met in person, actually always told me that if i like something, i should pay for it.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]since most of the hackers i ever met in person, actually always told me that if i like something, i should pay for it.[/citation]

In general that is the main mentality in some of the smaller communities I gather. Example in the anime community from what I gather the unspoken rule is you can "pirate" the content for now but if you like it please buy it when it is released in your region. This seems to apply to some of the other communities as well.

My biggest gripe is when it comes to movies, pirates seem to get a better quality experience than paying customers. If you buy a DVD you are generally forced to watch commercials, sometimes they get rid of the abillity to skip all of them or if I remember correctly you fast forward and it stops and plays when that 1 commercial is over but will play the next one so it's since and repeat. Menu/Titles button are disabled till commercials are over before you get to the menu, etc. Where as if you pirate it you can typically just get the movie and nothing else with no loss in audio/video quality and with or without subtitles if you look for it and none of the annoyances.

So for me I definately see why people pirate considering all the annoyances that go with going the legit route for DVDs. But in general the concept of paying for the content is good, I just wish DVD's weren't so annoying. (For the record, I go a different route and use Amazon Prime/Netflix instead of putting up with that BS or trying to pirate)

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
assasin32, as far as i know, some software allows you to skip those comercials no matter how much they try to enforce you to watch it.
In a way i see pirated software as a "demo". If i like it i buy it. Only exception to this rule is when i cant find what i want to buy, or if its other contenent (for example, i buy a game tha requires origin from EA to work, after that i pirate the game and dont install origin on my PC).

One of the worst things for me is language limitations. I hate when i get the Polish version of a game. Its not the same... I was original language! In fact, some of the translations are so bad, that they dont even get to finish the sentence, because its too long in another language...

In that case i normally pirate in the language i want and buy in the one i dont.

I still know its not "the right thing to do", but the gaming industry has lowered its standards so much (while increasing the prices) that i belive its simply unfair to be limited as much as they force us to.

G

Lets give this copyright alert system 6 strikes. Whats it on now? 4th?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]This leaves me with mixed feelings. On one point, if you are doing something illegal, getitng a warning about it i belive is a great thing. For example, in some countries downloading pirated material is legal, yet submiting that material is illegal.However, if that law should one day change, beeing warned about it seems a great idea to me.Now dont get me wrong, i dont agree with piracy, but the prices that you see sometimes in stores is flat out crazy.For example, i like to buy the music i like when the price drop a bit.Most people that are against piracy belive that pirates create losses in the industry, as they are not buying the music, and they assume they would if piracy was impossible.However i find this only to be partially true, as i live in Poland now, where i never downloaded anything, and instead of buying or looking for pirate sources, i listen to records i do from the radio.As a final note, I wonder if groups like annonymus are going to get into this debate as well, since most of the hackers i ever met in person, actually always told me that if i like something, i should pay for it.[/citation]

this system is not for piracy.
they accuse you of it because you use alot of bandwith
you have to PAY THEM to contest it, and they never give you money back if they were wrong.
this is legal extortion from an industry that refuses to evolve.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I just hope users are smart enough to leave ISPs that implement this rule. I remember when videotron (Quebec) implemented bandwidth cap, customers received letters and were free to leave even if under contract. I guess it's gonna be similar with other ISPs.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]I just hope users are smart enough to leave ISPs that implement this rule. I remember when videotron (Quebec) implemented bandwidth cap, customers received letters and were free to leave even if under contract. I guess it's gonna be similar with other ISPs.[/citation]

no, in america we learned that we are free to change the terms of a contract after its been signed. its usually in there especially on a short term where users are buying a very common service.

that said. if it went to court, i am not sure if they would rule with isp or with the individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.