Could someone help me with a refurbished laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.

slooderdodor

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
So, I really do not have very much money to spend, but with getting my taxes back, I have just enough to hopefully buy some type of refurbished 'gaming' laptop. Pretty much the only games I really am interested in playing on my laptop would be mmos, with the main mmo in mind being the upcoming elder scrolls online. With that being said, does anyone know of a decent refurbished gaming laptop that would be able to run that game in particular and other mmos on decent settings, and get it at a decent price? If so, please give me a link to one, as I really have no idea what I should be getting. Thanks in advance.

G

I honestly always choose to shy away from used/refurbished laptops because they are not like desktops where you can simply replace a part if they are damaged. You're buying an entire system that can only last so long, so usually I'd prefer brand new laptops so I know I have the warranty for it and feel more comfortable with buying something that has less a chance of being dysfunctional.

Moving forward with what you are asking, what is your budget? We cannot help you if you do not even have a set price limit along with preferences in the laptop via resolution, processor, storage, etc.
Any preferred sites or brands? etc.

Just know that laptops are A LOT more expensive than desktops and you are not getting the performance you could get with a desktop. Personally, for gaming I would elect to get a desktop but if you really want to emphasize a laptop, here are some suggestions:

The best laptop for gaming under $600:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MCTAA.005

The best gaming laptop under $1k (I'm pretty sure 90% of people would suggest this):
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-59388313-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00F0RC4VQ/ref=psdc1_t1_B00HIY8VLQ_B00F0RC4VQ

slooderdodor

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Thank you, that first laptop you linked is almost perfect, a little more then I was wanting to spend but I think I may just end up getting that.. however.. is there gaming pcs that I could get that would be better, with that 600 dollar price tag? I don't NEED a laptop, I just prefer a laptop because I am not home all the time, so gaming on the go is always a plus, but if I could get a more powerful pc for around that price, I would probably be willing to do that. The thing is though, I really cannot go above 600 dollars. And sorry, did not even think to list my budget. My budget I guess I would say is 400-600, with 600 being the very most I really want to spend. And yeah, I am kind of iffy on refurbished ANYTHING, but I was just thinking refurbished could get me more bang for my buck power wise.

G

After doing heaps of research, I have always come back to that Acer laptop. The performance you get from a laptop is minimal compared to a desktop, where you can get so much more power from. If you DO want a laptop, I'd go with an acer. If not, I would invest in a desktop where the performance would be worth every dollar. You can't necessarily find a gaming laptop in the price range you want, but that is definitely your best option.

If you're willing to spend money on a desktop, then you can actually be fine buying used parts because if it doesn't work properly you can easily swap it out. Plus, with desktops, you can always upgrade parts and easily do maintenance/repairs.

In my gaming rig, I actually bought a used graphics card and monitor and it all worked properly.
I actually just sold my gaming rig a few days ago to downgrade to a laptop (I'm a college student and I NEED portability).. my rig was ~$1000 and I was able to max out every game I played (ie. BF4, all my steam games, etc).
With the laptop I'm getting that's ~$950, I can just barely max out steam games ie. CS:GO & Dota 2, but no way in hell play BF4 at max with a flirtatious fps.

For a $600 desktop, you should definitely look at used parts.. but don't forget about the operating system and peripherals!

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO GET A LAPTOP THAT IS USED, look at Amazon and make sure you get it from Amazon Warehouse. I've got a bunch of computer parts from there used, and they were basically brand new except for the boxes that they came in (which were typically opened or had a bit of damage on the outside, but no effect on the inside products).

slooderdodor

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Yeah, if I planned on gaming with high end games I would for sure consider a pc option, but considering most mmos do not seem to be that high demanding graphically, I think this acer will be perfect, considering elder scrolls online only requires 2gb of memory from what I have read, and this has 8! I am surprised at the specs of this acer for how much they are charging, I did not expect a brand new laptop to have these specs for how relatively cheap it is. I really appreciate you finding this for me, as I had searched on google and what not and did not see this laptop come up at all. I am going to wait for my tax return to make sure I have enough to get this, but 90 percent chance this laptop will be my choice. Thank you VERY much for your help, this forum is awesome!

G

No problem, I was in the same boat as you and spent HOURS looking for a decently priced laptop with great specs to handle light gaming. In that price range, that was the BEST I could find. Whatever choice you make in deciding upon a laptop, I hope the best and that you enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.