CPU Upgrade for HP dv6000 (Intel)

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
My father has a HP dv6000 laptop, but constantly complains about how slow it is and how he cannot do anything efficiently on it. His birthday is coming up shortly, and I was thinking about upgrading his laptop as a surprise for him.

I've been searching (perhaps in the wrong places with incorrect queries) to figure out the proper chipset so I can perform said upgrade. However, I haven't had much luck.

Currently, this is the only information I have to go off of:

HP dv6000 (GB114AV)
p/n RX942AV

Specs:
Intel Celeron M 520 @ 1.60Ghz
1.00 GB DDR2
Vista 32-bit

I've been able to find the memory type that is supported (DDR2-667 (5300)) but haven't had any luck on the socket type. I'd like to get him a dual core processor but I'm worried about a few things.

What Intel processor will I be able to use?? Also, if I can upgrade to a dual core, will the overall system power draw be too great for the chipset? Currently, he doesn't take the laptop out of the house a lot, but I don't want to take away the mobility of a laptop from him.

Thanks for any help in advance.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Thank you both for your inputs.

Is the processor really not that big of an issue? Also, is replacing the processor significantly more difficult on a laptop than it is on a desktop? I've built my own system before, so I know my way around fairly well.

Even though you are recommending against a new processor, I'm still curious as to which dual core I would be able to drop in there. Any ideas?

Also, on some memory compatibility website I found that supposedly only three types of memory are supported by this laptop. I tend to think that is ridiculous, as any type of DDR2-667 will work here. Am I way off, or are they just trying to charge a premium to the less-informed?

frozenlead

Distinguished
You can drop almost any Micro-FCPGA dual in - however, whether it will work with your motherboard or not, I've no clue. Also, all the dual core mobile processors for this socket have a 35W TDP or above - the celeron has a 26W. It's likely the cooling system can't handle the heat. Replacing a notebook CPU is a chore, but by no means is it impossible. It just requires lots of dissassembly.

So long as you stick some name-brand modules in, they should work okay. g.skill is usually a good on the budget brand.