Solved! CPU UPGRADE

sonyvaioforever

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Hi All,

I have a couple of Sony VPCF21Z1E/BI 3D (PCG-81311M) laptops, and i would like to upgrade my cpu. The original cpu is an intel i7 2630QM. I was told there are 3 types of cpu's i could use. The best one being the 2820QM, which i have used in my other 3d sony laptop. Are there any better cpu i could use, instead of the 2820QM? I don't know anything about cpu's so any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Solution
Hi, There are ssd's & 16gb ram, in both these 3d laptops. I just want to know, are there any other higher spec i7 quad core cpu's that one could use for these 3d laptops, that would be compatible, and better than the 2820QM? Cheers.

CPU support in laptops is not easy to find out unless you find someone that actually did the swap or you get the answer from their support staff. Even if a CPU fits in a socket does not mean the laptop will boot with it. The small performance gain you would have is not worth the hassle of opening them up and swapping the CPU. SSD and RAM are by far the best upgrades to those, I'd just leave them as they are if they are working now.

sonyvaioforever

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
It's not really worth going from an i7 to a slightly faster i7, much better to install a solid state drive of RAM if it's under 8.
Hi, There are ssd's & 16gb ram, in both these 3d laptops. I just want to know, are there any other higher spec i7 quad core cpu's that one could use for these 3d laptops, that would be compatible, and better than the 2820QM? Cheers.

CPU support in laptops is not easy to find out unless you find someone that actually did the swap or you get the answer from their support staff. Even if a CPU fits in a socket does not mean the laptop will boot with it. The small performance gain you would have is not worth the hassle of opening them up and swapping the CPU. SSD and RAM are by far the best upgrades to those, I'd just leave them as they are if they are working now.

Solution

sonyvaioforever

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019

Hi again,
What i was told last year, by someone who worked on one of these types of 3d models was, there are 3 types of cpu's i could use, with the 2820QM, being the fastest one of the 3. As you say, there is only a small gain, but it is a gain at the end of the day, which is always nice. What i did was, i built a new 3d machine, from an old machine, a few weeks ago, and i put the 2820QM into it, instead of the original 2630QM. It definitely is quicker. I did this all without any build plans. Ha. There are no parts soldered onto the motherboard, except the gpu, so it was great fun building it, from new, and old parts. I am in the process of building another one shortly. Hours of fun. All i was interested in knowing is, with all the latest improvements, in rams, ssd's, cpu's, thought there may be a chance one could find a slightly better cpu. Anyway, thanks for the help. Cheers.

Hi again,
What i was told last year, by someone who worked on one of these types of 3d models was, there are 3 types of cpu's i could use, with the 2820QM, being the fastest one of the 3. As you say, there is only a small gain, but it is a gain at the end of the day, which is always nice. What i did was, i built a new 3d machine, from an old machine, a few weeks ago, and i put the 2820QM into it, instead of the original 2630QM. It definitely is quicker. I did this all without any build plans. Ha. There are no parts soldered onto the motherboard, except the gpu, so it was great fun building it, from new, and old parts. I am in the process of building another one shortly. Hours of fun. All i was interested in knowing is, with all the latest improvements, in rams, ssd's, cpu's, thought there may be a chance one could find a slightly better cpu. Anyway, thanks for the help. Cheers.

There are improvements with new CPUS, but your system takes CPUs from 9 years ago, and they are not building new CPUs for the old systems sockets and motherboards. You will have to use the CPUs made in that era.

Reactions: sonyvaioforever