Cracked screen retrieving contacts

Solution
You could slave it to your PC through a USB cable and see if you can follow the path to a .pbb. file. When you buy another phone you should be able to carry out the reverse process but post back if you can't. You may need to convert it into a .csv as Google Contacts in your PC.
You could slave it to your PC through a USB cable and see if you can follow the path to a .pbb. file. When you buy another phone you should be able to carry out the reverse process but post back if you can't. You may need to convert it into a .csv as Google Contacts in your PC.

Solution
Actually, my hopes are fading on that suggestion because even as a SuperUser on a rooted device, I don't have enough permissions to get to that file. It's in data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases.contacts.db and if I can't get in through Android itself, I doubt Windows will have much success.

It's not all bad news though. Because Google hang on to your data and sell it to the highest bidder, as soon as you log into a new phone using your g-mail address, your contacts will be reinstated.