running win 10 64bit
980 Ti Sc
16GB RAM
MSI Z170M Mortar Mainboard
i7 6700k CPU

For audio hardware;
using a 2.1 stereo system
and a Razor KaveXTD 5.1 headset/mic

Since quite some time, I have had an issue with the audio on my PC. At first, I thought it was an issue with my fairly new headset, that's why I contacted the manufacturer for support, but they couldn't help me any further even after explaining every detail and doing adjustment to my audio settings in windows as well as the headset's software. Just today it came to my mind that the issue actually might not even be with the headset. Since I started hearing it through my 2.1 Stereo as well now. Because before I was only able to hear it through my 5.1 headset, since it has much better audio quality.

For some clarification, this issue ONLY happens when I play video games. It NEVER happens when I listen to music or watch videos.

Firstly I recorded an off-screen video with my phone, holding the mic of it into the headset to capture the audio issue. Today I captured a gameplay video with a recording software, thinking that if the issue actually is NOT with the headset, I should be able to hear it even in the captured video, and I did.

The issue is that the audio sounds crackling, or as if you'd listen to a CD in a CD player, and the CD had a scratch or so, and it skips audio. This does not happen constantly, I can play fine for an hour or 30 minutes, then the issues appear and stays there for 30 minutes, and disappears again. After that, it might come back after an hour or two, but maybe only for a few minutes, and disappears again. Sometimes the issue is really strong and intense, other times it is more subtle.
It is really strange and sporadic.

Also, I doubt the issue is with the PC soundcard since the headset has its own soundcard. And since I hear the issue though both, my stereo and the headset, It would literally have to be an issue with both then.

I will link the video here underneath to whoever wants to hear can do so. The video starts off with a short off-screen clip, you can hear my buddy talk, even his voice is affected by the issue. We talk through a software called Discord. But Discord is not the issue, I have already closed the software while the audio issue was happening, went back into the game, and it was still present. So Discord is not the issue. The second clip is the in-game video captured with Nvidia Experience, it is more subtle in that case, but still noticeable.

I have no clue how to fix this or what it could be. So if anyone has an idea, I would be very thankful. Because it really bothers me. Especially after having bought such an expensive headset, and not being able to enjoy it.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYGI8xsXiUw

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hi,

Having read your post, I think we may be have very (very!) similar issues! Did you find any solution to the problem at all? Also, from the video posted I could not really her this clearly, is this similar crackling as in the video below (around 5th-7th second)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqkgoGJ-18&list=PLeVOkzZmiCgh-Z9UKOPLhaRM-SWWTA2_-

ThrashOrDie

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015

Hi, no I have not found a solution for my problem yet, unfortunately. I watched the video you linked, and it does sound similar. Although yours is very subtle and short. Whereas mine can be very loud and long- lasting. But yea, it does seem similar. Do you know how to fix this?

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

Sorry, no idea what is causing this so far, but since we are both having this problem, I don't think it's got anything to do with the headsets/speakers. I've tried using USB microphone, and this seemed clear, so it could be something to do with jacks/sound card. Also, this glitch sometimes comes with a visual glitch on my monitor as well. I'ts hard to describe, but just for a split of a second there is sort of a red line going across the screen. Power supply issue maybe? I eally have no clue.

ThrashOrDie

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015

I doubt it's the power supply. I have a RM650 which should be plenty good. I have posted this same thread on a different forum. Some people came up with something. I just didn't have enough time to test yet. But they referred to a software called Latency Mon. Maybe it could help you as well. Just let the program run until the issue happens, and then it should detect where it lays.

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

I've ran that programme, and it points to a CPU Fault./ I updated my BIOS and disabled CPU Throttling as advised, but this did not do anything. Problem persists

ThrashOrDie

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015

I was letting my software run in the background while gaming, I didn't notice any audio issues this time, but the program noticed issues. It seems like there actually could be an issue with the power. For me, it said that my CPU was throttling. Which means it is either getting too warm or not enough power.
My CPU is water cooled, and I never noticed any abnormal temperatures. So i now changed the power setting in the windows control panel to maximum, to see if that will change something.

Just let the software run for several hours during a gaming session, you can then copy the results to clipboard and paste it somewhere where you can read through it.

I will keep you updated if I find out more. The guys on the other forum are now looking through my results.

EDIT: oh I have just seen your second reply. Did you read through the entire results? Mine listed a lot of things, many of them i don't even know what they mean. Try the maximum power in the control panel.

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

I've only read the message that appeared in red on the front page, if there is a more detailed report somewhere, I am not aware of that.
Except for BIOS update and power settings change which I've already done and did not help it mentiones something about DPC routines and ISR... I'll try to get more info tomorrow as atm these don't tell me anything.

ThrashOrDie

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015

Well, I haven't been getting any more answer in the other forum. The last person there suggested that the issue could be with Realtek HD driver manager. So I uninstalled Realtek but the problem is still there for me. Maybe it will help you.

Other than that. I have no more idea what else to do, or no other person suggesting any more fixes unfortunately.