Solved! Crash on login/startup

Oct 20, 2021
I had went to my class today and we usually use laptops for the online portion of class. I would enter the bit locker encryption code and when I would go to login after it would freeze while loading and eventually crash or I would hard reset by holding power for 10 seconds. It would allow me to login half of the time and when it would, the laptop would crash about 30 seconds after loading in. Now I tried everything that I know how to figure out why it was crashing. My guess would be that once it connected to the schools wifi it would crash. It has never done that before but it would crash at about the same exact time each time I got passed the bit locker screen. This was about how long it would take to connect to the wifi. Now the laptop is fine for now. I am writing this message off of it. I am trying to understand why it was doing that and if it wasn't the wifi what are some possibilities it could be and how can I better diagnose it my self or anything for that matter. I am pretty good with hardware but still a software beginner. Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7500 2n1. Any help or input is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Well, it's hard to troubleshoot something without it having issues and checking if the issue was resolved by one of the troubleshooting steps.
Did it only happen in school? If it was in general, from what you are saying the Wi-Fi adapter may have had some driver issues. When you started it more recently, maybe it had an update that fixed the problem. It could also simply be a issue with the components not being soldered correctly, and just needed time to settle in- It's a weird thing, but I have seen other threads (I think on here) where laptops that didn't even turn on suddenly started to work again after a few months. That amount of time it took until it crashed may have been how long it took to reach a component with a short...
Lots of hard resets are not a good idea as these force everything running to suddenly halt without shutting down cleanly. There is a small possibility of messing something up. Sometimes one has no choice, however. Before I did a hard reset, I would check to make sure the disk activity light is not blinking.

If it was my machine, I would reinstall Windows. That is a pain but likely to fix you problems. Are you running any "bootleg" software? Have you done any tweaks to clocks and such? I have no experience with Bit Locker so I don't know if that can be troublesome.

Oct 20, 2021
Lots of hard resets are not a good idea as these force everything running to suddenly halt without shutting down cleanly. There is a small possibility of messing something up. Sometimes one has no choice, however. Before I did a hard reset, I would check to make sure the disk activity light is not blinking.

If it was my machine, I would reinstall Windows. That is a pain but likely to fix you problems. Are you running any "bootleg" software? Have you done any tweaks to clocks and such? I have no experience with Bit Locker so I don't know if that can be troublesome.

All of the resets were forced because it would either crash or take 10 minutes plus to do anything at all. I haven't done any tweaks on my laptop (the one having issues). Bit locker was just basically a 48 digit encryption code to get into the computer it's self or to basically do anything at all. I turned that off but the issues persisted. I left the laptop alone for a while to give myself a break from trying to figure it out and when I came back to it, it was completely fine

mrmike16

Honorable
Well, it's hard to troubleshoot something without it having issues and checking if the issue was resolved by one of the troubleshooting steps.
Did it only happen in school? If it was in general, from what you are saying the Wi-Fi adapter may have had some driver issues. When you started it more recently, maybe it had an update that fixed the problem. It could also simply be a issue with the components not being soldered correctly, and just needed time to settle in- It's a weird thing, but I have seen other threads (I think on here) where laptops that didn't even turn on suddenly started to work again after a few months. That amount of time it took until it crashed may have been how long it took to reach a component with a short (possibly the Wi-Fi adapter).
The best way to check (when the problem exists) is to go into Safe Mode to see if it's a driver issue or not, since Safe Mode loads the bare necessities. The issue persisting with BitLocker turned off ruled that out as the cause of the problem.

Solution