Crazy Rumor: Android 5.0 "Jelly Bean" in 2Q12

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Love Jelly Beans! Have ICS on my Xoom and love it, browser is better, ability to easily combine apps into one folder, and overall increase in speed/smoothness have make it worth it for me.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Well I'm happy with my new Nexus running 4.0, and I do agree that to some extend they need to tackle the fragmentation issue. But, I will still welcome 5.0 with open arms.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
See, I'm not an Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I was afraid of this problem. Too many "similar" phones/devices running the same platform, delaying the upgrade process.

Why can't smartphone OS upgrades be similar to Windows upgrades? From Windows Vista to Windows 7, there's simply 1 upgrade disk for each version of Windows you wish to upgrade to, times 2 for 32-bit and x64 systems. There isn't one set up upgrade disks per vender, per computer which has different hardware. Surely, you end up with bloatware on your computer, but that can be controlled.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Factcheck[/nom]Doesn't follow the frozen treat theme? I guess you forgot about Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb. Frozen treats have been the minority of Android releases.[/citation]
Yea Android has been about being alphabetical and being a dessert, although I have no idea what A and B were since they seem to have started with "C"upcake.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]This is bringing fragmentation to a higher level.[/citation]
Fragmentation doesn't really matter with SSDs, besides slightly higher power consumption

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
All it seems to take is one whack job on a forum to post some unfounded rumor and the internet goes bananas. I'm turning this into a drinking game. I'll binge drink every time I see a wild rumor and see how long it is before my liver fails. Give it a break. We are looking so far into the future that we don't see the great devices we have today. Then we complain because our old stuff isn't new. Android is an open source community. If you don't like your phones OS there is a huge group of people that offer FREE roms to upgrade or change it. There is a how to guide on making it happen too. No one but you is keeping you from trying it.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Fragmentation doesn't really matter with SSDs, besides slightly higher power consumption[/citation]

Ummm... He wasn't talking about storage. He was talking about different flavors of Android for various smartphones have slowed down the new releases.

Linux community suffers the same fate.

zblade

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]See, I'm not an Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I was afraid of this problem. Too many "similar" phones/devices running the same platform, delaying the upgrade process.Why can't smartphone OS upgrades be similar to Windows upgrades? From Windows Vista to Windows 7, there's simply 1 upgrade disk for each version of Windows you wish to upgrade to, times 2 for 32-bit and x64 systems. There isn't one set up upgrade disks per vender, per computer which has different hardware. Surely, you end up with bloatware on your computer, but that can be controlled.[/citation]

If they do this then the Nexus wouldn't be as appealing as it is now. The selling point of Nexus phones is they get the latest updates and the latest version first. Wouldn't be much of a selling point if all android phones can get it 1-2 weeks after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS