Crazy Talk: Windows 8 May Play Xbox 360 Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I like the concept, but I see so many things that can go wrong with it..

Not all computers are created equally, unlike xboxes. They can't honestly expect this to be a smooth gaming experience for most cant they?

How do they get around HDD installs? Insufficient horsepower (CPU, GPU, etc.)??

If you have to pay for a subscription then do you have to be connected to the cloud as well?

That said, I like options and I hope this works, but I was shocked to read they are trying this.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
We can argue until we are blue in the face on whether or not we think XBL is useful and worth the money. I think it is and thus pay $99 for 5 accounts a year. You stick with your free service because you find no value in XBL.

One thing is for certain though. If they implement it and it is required of you, then you will do it whether you like it or not. If you have a free option, then you can always go that route just as you do now so there is no reason to even argue about it.

G

That is just nonsense. Or are you saying microsoft will provide an emulator for the new OS? That doesn't sound very likely to happen, to be honest; or at least it wasn't done before in all those years. This makes me think the things are going to stay the same.

Letting aside some market and economical questions, it just doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't it be easier to release the games for both plataforms instead of building a theoretically possible emulator for a processor that has a incredibly complex architecture and features a large amount of vectorial processing power in another as minimalistic and heterogeneus as the x86? Sounds not very realistic IMO.

It's funny to see people talking as if the release of that capability were a fact, and disscussing the eternal PC vs console stuff.

Even the most complex JIT compilation techniques would involve a massive comsuption of computational resources, so much that I don't believe even the newer chips released would be able to offer.

frozenlead

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Skippy27[/nom]One thing is for certain though. If they implement it and it is required of you, then you will do it whether you like it or not. If you have a free option, then you can always go that route just as you do now so there is no reason to even argue about it.[/citation]

I'm simply trying to point out the buying the service if you don't own a console is a waste of money, which is why I think PC gamers won't buy it. The whole point of this service is supposedly to get everyone on the same ship, which I don't think will work, and that's why.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
It'd be a nice feature but I don't see it happening.

Main reason? Hardware. PCs are a world of heterogeneous hardware unlike consoles. Console game development has that mindset, on the other hand PC game development has to take several hardware configurations in mind.

Something else to add? Xbox live gold membership for a PC gamer is a no-go. Truckloads of games give them online functionality, ladders and what-not for NADA.

I think it'd be easier to have the XBL game library available for both Xbox and PC.

I still would love to be able to play my console games straight from my PC but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
and to ever1 complaining about xbl cost, it's 60$ a year. That's 5$ a month. If you have a decent internet connection, u pay 10x that. stop being so cheap.

G

Sounds cool....however, if the keyboard and mouse are map-able to Xbox FPS games, controller players will be in a world of hurt.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Allso it would mean same guality games to Xbox and PC... ? Well, well and the different hardware. This sounds like emulator that cost 60$ in a year... I am so exited... not...
One possibility is an option to download (steam type?) version of Xbox game to PC... maybe, maybe...
Well, these are really somewhat crazy rumours endeed... well lets see when situation level down...

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
He went on to say that Live will be the primary entertainment center for Windows Phone handhelds. "If we have that and the PCs to leverage, that will be a big Live base," he added. "It's our job to make 'buy a movie in one place and play it everywhere, buy a game in one place and play it everywhere.' Making things portable will be a big focus of ours."

What I speculate from this is that you buy one game and can play it on your Xbox, PC, or phone, more or less "only on Xbox" titles become "only on Windows" titles. I also speculate that the XBL subscription doesn't just allow for multilayer action on MS hosted servers, but also allows you to purchase one game for three devices. When you purchase a Steam game you can only play that game on a PC, where as this service seems to be about being able to play on any Windows OS. Assuming that is what MS means with their above statements and assuming that the prices don't change, little math will go a long way.

New MS only Game of the year comes out:
Xbox $49.99
PC $49.99
WMP8 $19.99 (assumes that games on phones are limited)
XBL subscription $60/year
If you have the subscription you pay $49.99 and can play the game on any platform savings (assuming you own all three and want to play on all three) of $69.98 over purchasing each without the service. Even if you only wanted to play the games on the phone and your PC it would pay for itself if you bought 3 games a year. And that is what MS is really trying to do; they want to give you incentive to purchase all three of their platforms or at least a PC/XBox and a phone. One so they can sell more software and two so they gain a large and always profitable subscription base. And knowing MS the way I do any MS game where they host the servers you will have to pay the subscription even on the PC anyway when the new Xbox comes out.

I don't like console gaming but the thought of playing games for "free" on my phone when I purchase one on my PC sounds like a good deal, but I played WoW off and on for a few years so I'm past the "I won't play to pay" thing.

robertking82881

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
YAY NOW I CAN CHEAT USEING AIM BOTS ACT. AND LOL AT THOSE THAT SUCK USEING XBOX360 WHHAHAHAHHHA.

GREAT JOB MICROSOFT POWER TO THE CHEATER..

GRIN. scarsasm

jeremy1183

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Ummm did anyone else look at the picture of the girl in this article? Her feet are HUGE and looks pretty disgusting.

weaselsmasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Background: 1. the CEO of OnLive, Steve Perlman, has a history of selling companies to Microsoft. He did so with WebTV. He knows all the people involved, knows what the process is like, and how to seal the deal. 2. OnLive's software catalog is composed of Windows games.

Speculation: 1. Microsoft will become a major investor, or even outright buy, OnLive. 2. OnLive tech will be used to deliver streaming games to WP8+ 3. OnLive's data farms will include servers capable of running XBox games either natively or through an emulator.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]1 track mind FTL. Try playing a sports game with a mouse and keyboard, a controller is so much easier playing a game like NHL 11, NBA or NFL. Of course I'd like to take my console version of a game and use the pc without waiting for a port to PC as well. It works both ways, and having the ability to really unlock the games graphics with a pc is awesome. I would start buying more X Box titles if I could play them on my PC as well.[/citation]

I have, and the keyboard is MUCH easier. You do realize that you can remap the controls to make it more comfortable for you. Of course if you cannot handle the keyboard it is a good thing that the 360 controllers are compatible with PCs.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Aside from other comments.......

This will be a major Boon for PC gaming. Might ever help sway console gamers back into PC systems.

Major game developers may "hybrid" their games to where it can play on Xbox360, but have content for PC exclusive. Its a nice trend and its a good thing for game makers.

G

Am I the only one who sees this as MS shooting themselves in the foot. I suppose no one in that board meeting raised the question, "Why would someone buy an XBox console when they already have a PC that can play the same game?" The original XBox games are essentially PC games already (x86 based hardware) and XBox 360 games may need a compatibility layer API to run, (forgive the pun) DirectX Box (which was the original XBox's development name) maybe?

In any case, I have no interest in paying a fee to play multiplayer on PC. People complain about rampant cheaters in PC multiplayer but, that's mostly because developers have taken out the ability for individuals to host dedicated servers and/or have taken out functions like vote to kick/ban. It seems this ugly trend of service hosted multiplayer is going to become the norm because people are too blind to see that companies are trying to take more money from the public in the guise of "a fair gaming experience." We as gamers can police ourselves, just give us the ability/tools to do so.

Lastly, "The unannounced "720" will supposedly feature an IBM Cell processor..." is highly amusing. I'd love to see the faces of those XBox 360 fanbois who said the XBox 360 had a far more powerful CPU than the PS3s, after hearing this news.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Windows 8 will be a console generation behind playing 360 games, by the time w8 actually comes out. Seeing how console games are already behind pc's, you will be playing console games that will be a generation or two behind games developed strictly for pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.