Crazy Talk: Windows 8 May Play Xbox 360 Games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]3vilGenius5[/nom]Am I the only one who sees this as MS shooting themselves in the foot. I suppose no one in that board meeting raised the question, "Why would someone buy an XBox console when they already have a PC that can play the same game?"[/citation]

How many pc gamers have a $200 PC? How many PC's even cost $200? None, and none. If you have a $2500 PC, then just buy the service for $X/year and call it good. I don't think their going to canalize their console sales, and even if they do, they won't care as there is no money to made in the console, its the games that make them money.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]How many pc gamers have a $200 PC? How many PC's even cost $200? None, and none. If you have a $2500 PC, then just buy the service for $X/year and call it good. I don't think their going to canalize their console sales, and even if they do, they won't care as there is no money to made in the console, its the games that make them money.[/citation]
Assuming you buy it new. If you have a semi new computer, odds are you can just pay $200 more and it is a gaming computer.

Although as someone else mentioned, this does sound like putting a nail in PC gaming seeing as how now developers won't even be bothered to develop PC versions if they just make an xbox 360 version, it kills two birds with one stone.

Also, $60 a year is often a lot more than most of us want to pay, considering that you didn't have to pay for services like this on the PC version of games. I am not paying money for what sounds like just convenience services. So Microsoft, shut up and stay away from my money.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]1 track mind FTL. Try playing a sports game with a mouse and keyboard, a controller is so much easier playing a game like NHL 11, NBA or NFL. Of course I'd like to take my console version of a game and use the pc without waiting for a port to PC as well. It works both ways, and having the ability to really unlock the games graphics with a pc is awesome. I would start buying more X Box titles if I could play them on my PC as well.[/citation]

Not sure if you've noticed, but EA has stopped making sport games for the PC for a couple years now, and for good reason. The PC versions are awful ports of the console anyway (Graphics were actually worse the PC than the console, and I had a high end PC at the time.)

Also, Instead of buying a 360 Controller, I bought one for Windows, that also works with the 360 (same price, but wired)

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Also, if you include a picture of a girl playing games in an article, please be sure that the enlarged resolution is much larger than 400x300. 400x300 is not a large image.[/citation]She's in half the articles that use the word "Xbox". It's easy enough to find the Hottest Xbox Girl if you Google it. She won some UK search thing.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Ha, lol to cannibalize Xbox sales. They don't make much profit on the consoles. No one except Nintendo sell the consoles for a profit. They can only make any profit at all is after the tech becomes cheap and obsolete. Xbox live did get hacked. look it up.

Anything can be hacked if anyone wants the data. If you really think that Xbox live service is worth $60 a year good for you. I will keep my $60 every year and use it to upgrade my GPU every 3 years. something that you now can't do because you use a console.

Microsoft Knows how to make money so I doubt they are shooting themselves in the foot here. every extra game sale is profit to them. Console sales are not Microsoft+Sony are not making money even in the current part of the console life cycle. which will be subsequently be replace by new consoles sometime next year.

G

its a very very smart move
how to combat the move to mobile
leverage your existing OS
what OS could Sony or apple or Nintendo Port to ?
i do`nt know about emulating a xbox on an ARM snapdragon though....

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
If they use a non-Bluyray "Bluray" drive for the xbox720 like Wii U, they can sell xbox720s, non-bluray "bluray" games, the the non-bluray bluray drives if you want to play it on windows 8, & still say it "works" on window 8... ;-)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Well, there are several things here that go woefully wrong.First, they really need to give incentive to gamers who don't own a console. Are many people really going to pay more so they can play games with console players? (If that's really what they're trying to accomplish, but I think the input divides the two gaming formats...I don't think a controller will hold own against a mouse and keyboard). The only way I can see people wanting this service is if the game was exclusive to Xbox; if that's the case, the games better be cheaper. I certainly won't pay for Xbox Live AND a game, when I can play the same or similar games on Steam for no service cost at all.Being able to register your Xbox discs on your PC is interesting, but it will destroy the used game market.Also, if you include a picture of a girl playing games in an article, please be sure that the enlarged resolution is much larger than 400x300. 400x300 is not a large image.[/citation]

i have an xbox, i want to ditch that pos.
i had 6 f#%(ing red ring/system failures. NOT AGAIN
this would actually be enough incentive to get win 8,

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jbenson256[/nom]Any gamer who enjoys their choice of game will pay a small fee. By the way, XBL never got hacked like PSN so the monthly fee is worth it imo.[/citation]

I guess the goold old rule of "you get waht you pay for" applies here. :)

G

@molo9000
How are they going to do that?
Emulate xbox360hardware?

YES! PC's have the hardware for it for like 4 years, but no software. Software shall it be!

agoodyu

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
See this
17.gif
message I am moved, this shows that our country's technology has the absolute progress!

renz496

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation]Although as someone else mentioned, this does sound like putting a nail in PC gaming seeing as how now developers won't even be bothered to develop PC versions if they just make an xbox 360 version, it kills two birds with one stone.[/citation]

This first come into my mind when i read the title. if the dev wants to release thier game in all platform they no longer have to spend extra resource to make a version specifically for pc which will directly affect how the games look and being played. honestly i don't want to play FPS using controller with my PC :p

G

Guys, it's more likely that Windows 8 has been built around a minimal kernel, such as the one the XBOX360 is running on. This is a Good Thing as the Windows kernel is surprisingly efficient. It's all the bloat that gets on at higher levels which gives Windows its bad reputation.

I am quite sure that the existence of XBOX360 references in the windows kernel have nothing to do with the ability of the operating system to run 360 games on it.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]jimmyCrazyhair[/nom]"Microsoft PC customers will be required to purchase a monthly fee just like their Xbox comrades"-this will not fly with PC gamers.[/citation]

Exactly...

This is always my measure of intelligence for gamers. "Do you pay monthly subscriptions for things that cost other people nothing? You do? You're retarded..."

G

I would pay $5 a month gladly just to make 13-year-olds cry when I go against them with my keyboard and mouse (not to mention much prettier graphics and triple the resolution). The XIM3 is nice, but that requires me to buy a console, which I'm not going to do.
Being able to obliterate any console player at any time is just priceless =]

Status
Not open for further replies.