Crazy Talk: Windows 8 May Play Xbox 360 Games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
As long as I can frag tards with controllers with my mouse and keyboard I'm good. Also that chick in the photo has massive feet.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
It seems to me that if MS ( or anyone ) would organize their gaming similar to STEAM they could save the expense of designing/building/marketing/servicing any further consoles.....EVER!!! After all, isn't it true that consoles only exist because the (non techy) people who predominantly use them are less likely to pirate games? Does STEAM have a piracy problem? Not that I've heard of.

G

wont this invalidatre the reason for xbox exclusives? why not release for both platforms, and just create a common Multiplayer network layer?

Screw it, why not just create a MS PC box as a "gaming PC console"??

No wait scratch that as well!

Windows 8 is supposed to be modular anyway, so you could just install a barebones gaming module only version of Windows 8 on it and you're good to go on a full blown $1500 gaming rig or a $500 tower you buy from the supermarket.... just turn down the settings in the game if it is a cheaper rig.

can someone tell me what the point of a console is again?

G

It's funny reading about all the dummies saying how great it'll be to wtfpwn controller n00bs with their 1337 keyboards+mouse. NO it WONT. You'll be bored as hell in no time and the whole community suffers from boredom. Unless yer one of those weird people who like to cheat and frag people endlessly and mindlessly, it wont be fun, atleast not for very long.

G

Yeah, right - like this will happen.

If anything does happen I expect it will be a single market place for all XNA based downloadable titles, which will be playable on all Microsoft platforms (PC, console, phone, tablet...). Given that XNA titles are based on .net and are already cross-platform enabled, it would not really be that much of a leap really. (Many current Xbox Indie & all Xbox Arcade games are already XNA based.)

For disc based titles there is no chance in hell this will happen - even if an audience for this existed it would be a maintenance nightmare and unlikely to bring in any significant cash.

So, yeah, but no.

G

Um, why are people arguing that hardware is going to kill this? Why is playing 360 games with people that have different hardware any different than playing PC games with people that have different hardware...?

xenophorge

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I think it'd be a good idea. Let microsoft worry about the emulation end, building it into windows 8 would be a good thing. It's take the community a matter of days to get around the software/hardware protection. No yearly fees, seperate private match making servers, iso's that are already prolific all over the net. No worries, let them do it I say, the people can and will make it their own anyways.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Wait, if I have a PC, why would I want to play a console game? No wait, all PC games are console ports now....nevermind.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
[citation][nom]GetRealPlease[/nom]It's funny reading about all the dummies saying how great it'll be to wtfpwn controller n00bs with their 1337 keyboards+mouse. NO it WONT. You'll be bored as hell in no time and the whole community suffers from boredom. Unless yer one of those weird people who like to cheat and frag people endlessly and mindlessly, it wont be fun, atleast not for very long.[/citation]

Speak for yourself. I'm one of those mindless people. In case you don't already know it many PC games allow use of the X BOX 360 controller right now. I can't see W8 precluding such use although I have no idea why anyone would want to.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Sounds interesting although not sure I'd like an Xbox Live fee.
I really like the possibilities of this in the long-term and here is why:

If we get xbox games on PC and it really takes off, sure, in the short-term it may hold back PC games from progressing quickly. This is like our current environment for the most part, stagnation. However, in the long-term, if it takes of really well then eventually people will realize (I hope) that building say a $1000 PC will last them 2-3 console generations in power. So possibly more people jump on the PC bandwagon looking at long-term console costs most likely being higher for the hardware over 2-3 generations of xboxes. If this occurs and developers take notice of the shift from console to PC then maybe we'll just be back in a golden age of PC games again because they will start taking more advantage of the PC horsepower and shy away from consoles again due to lower sales of the consoles. Ok it's a big leap of faith and dream to think this but it is about as likely to happen as anything else. Just the fact it's possible means I can be hopeful at least if this "rumor" comes true.

In the meantime I would actually be able to finish the Halo series.......

lethal decipher

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I'm just interested in the girl in that picture. It's a shame the resolution isn't higher.[/citation]

Agreed...

G

They are killing PC gaming!!! However, if they apply the monthly fee, too, everyone will swap to Mac or Linux. Sadly, history has shown us, that the Information Society is blindly accepting all bullshit it gets and thus MS will continue to sink PCs into oblivion.

G

To all the Guys/Gals saying they are gonna lay the smack down on the console gamers, I'd back off on those staements. I've seen some controller gammers straight OWN gamers runnin' Xim3's so it isn't necessarilly the interface that counts! If you're good, you're good.

G

Well if they do this then they better make sure pc gamers are not shafted when it comes to control's.

That is why I have a adaptor for my xbox that let's me use a keyboard and mouse for when I can't be bothered turning my power hungry pc on.

Status
Not open for further replies.