Crytek "Impressed" With Wii U Hardware Specs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]Thats a perfectly legit reason IMO.[/citation]
Dick Cheney, is that really you? Say hi to Satan for me.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I'm trying, I'm trying, and I keep failing... I don't understand how one can game on an oversized N-Gage... I don't understand - WHAT does PC gaming need to do to make people turn away from these toys? Flexibility - check. Modding - check. Gameplay - check. Graphics - double check. Variety of games available - triple check. And still it's not enough...[/citation]
I'm a PC gamer, through-and-through, but there was a time when I was not, and I lived on Nintendo games, all the way into the glory days of the GameCube, and the one issue that kept me from PC gaming was cost, and the misconception that PC gaming was complicated, and cumbersome. Back then I used to look at controllers and say "sexy" and looked at a keyboard and wondered how I could enjoy a game on the same input device that I typed out my excel documents on. It's really all based on cost and misconceptions.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Xbox 360 and PS3 were released with outdated hardware too, where is the rage for them?[/citation]

You have no clue what your talking about. Both the 360 and PS3 were released with cutting edge hardware that was partially not even available on home pc's at the time.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, if Crytek are impressed, it probably shows that they are gradually turning to become a full fledged console developer and no longer care to see what pc has in store.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]tomfreak[/nom]I bet gtx460 might still out perform it easily. May be my granny 4-5yrs old 9800GT are still giving it a tough time.[/citation]
We do not have enough information, but as per tomsguide, R700 based HD 4890 CF outperforms GTX 480 at 1080p, which of course dominate your GTX 460. While we do not know what version of R700 is used, GTX 460 is not even the top line of R700, and thus it is quite possible that this is exactly the performance that Wii U may have.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This is good news considering the original comments from Nintendo made it seem like the Wii U would be only about equal to the PS3/XBOX 360. I could not believe Nintendo would release a new console with the same specs from other consoles 5+ years old!

I'm hoping for the best. Even though the Wii is under-powered, I've had some great times playing it. There are some really good games and it proves that graphics aren't everything. Now, combine a great Nintendo game with killer graphics, and it could be awesome!

*fingers crossed

G

Oh for god sake, throw dolphin on your damn PC and see what kind of spec you need to run that damn thing decently and then remember back to what kind of feeble spec the wii had, and yes im fully aware of the performance hit a OS layer puts on performance, but thats the damn point it doesn't need cutting edge hardware to run decently cause it dont have a monolithic OS layer running in the background

and they probably did use the latest and greatest chip at their disposable "WHEN" they froze the specs probably sometime in 2009, a console is not like a PC where you can simply just switch out the gfx chip for the latest and greatest, the damn thing is hard coded into the hardware and software, a chip swap out would take bloody ages to implement and delay the product, do that a few times and the thing will never see the light of day

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
How much does that controller weight? I bet that's heavy. Bad if you play for even just a few minutes unless you have something comfortable to rest your hands/arms on while playing.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I'm trying, I'm trying, and I keep failing... I don't understand how one can game on an oversized N-Gage... I don't understand - WHAT does PC gaming need to do to make people turn away from these toys? Flexibility - check. Modding - check. Gameplay - check. Graphics - double check. Variety of games available - triple check. And still it's not enough...[/citation]

lets go modding specifically. so few games let you realy mod anymore. and the ones that do, have horrific ways you mod.

take oblivion or minecraft.

oblivion was hell to add mods, and the game needed mods to give the game legs
minecrafy you have to go into a rar like folder delete part of the rar, than add things into that rar. THAN those thins have to be EXACTLY matching with your version of the game, and if you version + you lose all your mods.

seriously, a complete revamp of the whole how users mod needs to take place.

[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Crysis One, Steller engineCrysis Two, new dumbed down engine for kiddie consolesCrysis Three, even dumber engine for hand held devices then ported to the PC with over hyped lies as to how great it will be.[/citation]

im sorry, but do you understand nothing about game engines at all? crytech 2 was an abomination of a poorly coded engine, that brute forced everything.

crytech 3 is as good at 2, but doens't brute force things, its why it looks so good while useing so little resources.

resource hungry =/= good engine

see i could write a 2d engine that would look 8 bit but would bring a i7 and a hd6990 to its knees

[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]You have no clue what your talking about. Both the 360 and PS3 were released with cutting edge hardware that was partially not even available on home pc's at the time.[/citation]
true, to some extent. there is also the fact that with a pc and a console on equivalent hardware, the console will preform better. so thats also a factor.

and with cutting edge we are talking about high end, not retardedly high end, where parts cost 1000$ on their own.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
the r700 had a tessellation engine in it correct?
the consoles arent tied to a direct x, so its possible that the wiiu will have tessellation.

with tessellation, you could feasibly make a game that looks better than crysis, on hardware that is lesser.

and remember this is a console, so everything will be optimized, so its possible that the hardware hit that using tessellation has will be minimal.

please remember the wiiu when more of your games in 2012 use tessellation.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I can't even play one of my favorite games, Crysis 2, because, for some reason, it has so many bugs, nobody plays online anymore, and single player was good, but not as replayable as an open world would be.

When I think of Crytek, i don't think awesome game company, I think, overhyped games, so so gameplay, buggy software, slow at patching, but decent graphics. And thats what I paid for basically, I own all there games (actually bought 2 copies of the original crysis), bought and paid for, but crytek basically took a dump on pc gamers, when I feel the games I bought weren't really up to par.

I'm just waiting for Frostbite 2 to put a nail in the Cryengine 3's coffins.

G

The Wii U is getting a lot of 3rd party support it seems. Sounds like there are going to be some awesome games.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]You have no clue what your talking about. Both the 360 and PS3 were released with cutting edge hardware that was partially not even available on home pc's at the time.[/citation]
When the PS3 was released there were people who had PCs with relatively cheap graphics cards that could thump out Triple A titles in 2560 x 1920 at 100FPS, just because it had a custom triple core cell processor does not mean it was better.

And the Xbox 360? Released as DX9, still DX9 today. Yesterday hardware.

But, did they do a good job and do they still? Absolutely, because they only have to use a single resolution and no hardware conflicts because of multiple vendors and drivers.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I personally think Nintendo picked a good time window for the Wii U.

The Wii was SD while the Wii U will be a 1080p HD jump. Even though the 360 and PS3 was slated to play games in 1080p HD, it was only like the past 12-18 months where producers actually started pushing out games that played in true 1080p HD.

So what is PS4 and 720 going to do? They definitely can't jump from 1080p to 2k yet since the hardware and production value of doubling the pixels costs are WAY out of the league for an average household. I guarantee the PS4 and 720 will be a refresh of current PS3/360 with some better heat dissipation and slicker look. It will probably market itself with all these great "innovations" in every category EXCEPT gaming. It will just be a more powerful home media device.

Basically, the only thing that would make Wii U a success or failure is the software line-up. If they release games like Mario Party, SMB, some type of FPS like Goldeneye along with decent 3rd party support from EA, Activision, etc. during their launch WITH sneak footage leaks of Super Smash Brothers, Zelda HD, etc. The Wii U will fly off shelves and Nintendo will be back printing money again like they did with Wii and DS.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Well, recently they became impressed with the xbox, so my expectations about what impresses those guys have lowered dramatically. I think they are more impressed by selling more copies then encouraging high end hardware.

G

pc gamers mostly are selfish coz they think they have fastest system in the world, not everyone having high end system, most ppl use their pc for their work , surf internet and so on so they dont spend $500 for the graphic card, i know pc gamers going to argue that pc parts are so cheap now, but not everyone going to upgrade their pc every 6 months imagine high end parts? so console is there always coz console has static hardware so that everyone can enjoy the game like how it should be on every console. unlike pc games where you have dump down graphics for poor ppl? this is not fair.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
They're excited over a device that's only slightly more powerful than 6 yr old hardware.

It really doesn't surprise me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.