Solved! Cusor problem- Frozen arrow develops into rectangle

anne z-d

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello,
I have a brand new HP PAVILION DV5-2043CL laptop with a strange cursor problem which HP claims they have never heard of--the arrow will suddenly freeze and directly under it appears a tiny elongated rectangle divided into five sections; the end sections have little right and left arrows and the middle parts are shaded bars. If you click on the arrow and underlying rectangle it usually resolves itself, but the arrow won't move unless you do click. However, particularly in playing games, if you click when the arrow freezes it may open a whole new window or program or close the game program. This makes navigation and even everyday tasks difficult. Thank you for any advice. Anne z-d,

Solution
Most likely, it is the video driver that is corrupted. I would go to their website and download the latest driver for that video adapter, then reboot in safe mode, uninstall and then reinstall the driver. Also, make sure the laptop is well vented/cooled during operation.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Most likely, it is the video driver that is corrupted. I would go to their website and download the latest driver for that video adapter, then reboot in safe mode, uninstall and then reinstall the driver. Also, make sure the laptop is well vented/cooled during operation.

Solution

anne z-d

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Thank you for responding. I am not too savvy about these things and I don't really know where to start to identify the "video adapter driver" in order to reinstall it. Since it is my everyday cursor that developes this rectangle, does this mean that some video component is corrupted and interfering with the everyday laptop functions? My laptop IS called an "Entertainment Notebook" but I didn't buy it to for that purpose, really. THank you again, Anne z-d

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
After downloading the latest driver, reboot the laptop in safe mode (hold F8 while booting up). Once done that, go in Control panel> Device Manager and look for the graphics/ video adapter. There, uninstall the device's driver. Reboot, Windows should then load the default generic driver for the adapter, then install the latest version you downloaded before. Reboot again, it should be done. Let us know if problems.