Custom smartphone (just wondering)

Mar 13, 2018
Let's say (hypothetically) that someone would make a custom smartphone and requested all the parts (custom) from manufacturers. How much would it approximately all cost (just all the parts, not the actual building of the smartphone or planning (requests)). I know there are a lot of parts, but I'm just wondering.

Solution
I know of no manufacturer that would make just one version of any smart phone part. Any manufacturer is going to want to do a substantial quantity. Otherwise, even if you could somehow get them to do individual one time only parts, the cost would be insane.
I know of no manufacturer that would make just one version of any smart phone part. Any manufacturer is going to want to do a substantial quantity. Otherwise, even if you could somehow get them to do individual one time only parts, the cost would be insane.

Solution
Mar 13, 2018
Thanks for your answer. :) But how would it then be possible to request a prototype? How did the other companies request their first prototype (or did they just go for many devices in the first place?) - did no one ever just make one prototype? Just wondering still.

I would think, since most of them started quite a long while ago, it was a bit different. However, even now, most companies will not make a prototype for anyone that they can't guaranty is going to be making a lot more through them. But this is big manufacturing companies we are talking about. You could always try contacting a more local, smaller, company and see what they say.

To be honest though, I still don't see you getting one made for a reasonable price.

To find out the exact cost of something, contact the sales department for the company and ask them how much a custom board or whatever would be, giving them the specs. A full prototype is likely to cost about what a high end car would cost.

You can design your own board though for pretty cheap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4iiekExXak

And although not really a new model prototype this has some more info https://www.wsj.com/video/how-to-build-your-own-smartphone-for-70/90013EB1-9BB0-4AE8-9BBB-FE76793EAD30.html

TRENDING THREADS