Cutting the cord on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2023
So I have been slowly cutting the cord on everything I can think of. I have cut the cord on cable and all streaming services by building a server with Plex Media Server on it. I am now finishing up a server build for self-hosted cloud service with automatic back to it from our smart phones. Basically cutting all of our Google and Microsoft cloud service such as Google Drive, Google Photos and Microsoft One Drive. The next project will be a web server build for self-hosted email and a social media site for my large extended family to utilize.

I am looking at several other self hosted cord cutting ideas such as:
  • Self-hosted VoIP system (yes I still have land lines for fax and business phone, also for home since I had the others)
  • Self-hosted home automation (this would work without an internet connection so it would still work when internet is down)

What other self hosted cord cutting ideas can you think of?

May 17, 2023
"Cutting the cord" is easy and saves money, if you don't use or consume any media.

Where will your new content come from?
The majority will be over the air. But we have a huge collection of DVDs that we have gotten over time, to the tune of over 4000 mix of TV and movies. But that is small compared to my wife's aunt that has well over 8000. So I have been slowly converting them and putting them onto the Plex Server I have, so far I have 2200 movies and 215 TV shows on the server.

If we were to watch what the American average is, which is about 4 hours a day, we have over 9 years worth of watching on the server right now.

Plus I have a TV tuner card in the server, so I can record over the air shows too.

Found that yard sale and estate sales is a great place to get DVDs from, especially estate sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.