CyanogenMod 9 Delivers Ice Cream Sandwich to HP TouchPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
ARGH!!! I just finally made the move to CM7 last week and they just came out with this!

Well I guess it's still a pretty rough build, but with it's source code up for grabs it shouldn't be too long until all the bugs are worked out.

Congrats Cyanogen Team!

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Maybe others are more 'tolerant' of Alpha builds, but I don't think a congrats is due yet.

I do congratulate them on all the time and effort; I can't find the time to install this let alone develop it. But other than booting up, it doesn't appear you can do anything (well).

And the disclaimer absolving themselves of any "bricks" makes me think i'll just keep the WebOS...yes this is a hack...use at own risk is always assumed. But with no more TouchPads being produced, bricking it will put a quick end to the "experiment".

Sure you only paid $100-$150...but you won't be able to replace it for that amount.

How many apps do I need anyway...I haven't even finished Need for Speed yet :)

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]Maybe others are more 'tolerant' of Alpha builds, but I don't think a congrats is due yet.I do congratulate them on all the time and effort; I can't find the time to install this let alone develop it. But other than booting up, it doesn't appear you can do anything (well).And the disclaimer absolving themselves of any "bricks" makes me think i'll just keep the WebOS...yes this is a hack...use at own risk is always assumed. But with no more TouchPads being produced, bricking it will put a quick end to the "experiment".Sure you only paid $100-$150...but you won't be able to replace it for that amount.How many apps do I need anyway...I haven't even finished Need for Speed yet[/citation]

The installation is painless. I was really surprised how the new releases setup dual boot automatically and everything. I will wait for a few more releases of CM9 and then install it. CM7 is pretty buggy with wireless not working properly 100%. If wireless was completely working it would be easy to not switch back to WebOS but right now that seems to be the case. Hopefully they keep chipping away at it and we can get a beta or rc build sometime soon.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
dual booting is very cool, but i love webOS. once you update and patch the touchpad, it runs smooth as silk and flys @ 1.7ghz. sure webOS is dismal in the app department, but i cant stand using anything else when it comes to mobile platforms. my wife loves her atrix and all the apps, but she doesn't even use 90% of them after a while, they just clutter her phone.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Currnetly using both, I still feel that webOS 3 has a better UI

it is much more screen space friendly. the swipe gestures allow the task bar to be hidden and only bought up when needed. The keyboard is many times better (it actually has a number row)

Just look at how much better the keyboard is, and how it doesn't have a task bar that is always visible.

http://i.imgur.com/OqoOG.png
http://i.imgur.com/TbvTz.png
http://i.imgur.com/Xe4j7.png

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Installed it this morning, went fresh install coming from CM7 Alpha 3.5 MUI. The CM9 Alpha 0 is a significantly better experience for me thus far. I tossed back and fourth with the idea of waiting until a more stable release, but am glad I went ahead and jumped on CM9. Dual booting with webOS 3.0.5 of course.

G

Why would I want to use an alpha build when I can just keep on using the REAL multitasking Champ webOS, which is already in my "PalmPad" (TouchPad) !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS