dac/amp advice for HD650 headphones

millerb7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
So I just picked up some HD650 headphones. I plan to use them with my iPhone as well as my iMac.

I know NOTHING about audio honestly, the deal was just crazy good (Thanks Massdrop) so I got them as I don't own any headphones. I've been reading up and I need some advice on dac/amp selection that I can use with my iPhone and iMac while using these headphones.

Any and all advice/input is welcome.

Solution
modi2+magni2 stack.

i believe the modi is mac compatible so you should be able to use it with your imac but to use with your phone you will need to stick with just the amplifier i believe (for imac, mac->modi->magni. for iphone, phone->magni).

i did find this:
According to Schist support, using a powered hub, you can connect an iPhone. Setup:

iPhone -> Fancy overpriced lightning cable -> USB A-B female-to-male cable -> Powered Hub -> USB A-B male-male cable -> Schiit Modi

Convoluted, but it should work!
but take it with a huge grain of salt.

not many desktop dac are compatible with android or iphone and there are not all that many dac which are reasonably priced for iphone.

now, if you need the amplifier to be portable...
modi2+magni2 stack.

i believe the modi is mac compatible so you should be able to use it with your imac but to use with your phone you will need to stick with just the amplifier i believe (for imac, mac->modi->magni. for iphone, phone->magni).

i did find this:
According to Schist support, using a powered hub, you can connect an iPhone. Setup:

iPhone -> Fancy overpriced lightning cable -> USB A-B female-to-male cable -> Powered Hub -> USB A-B male-male cable -> Schiit Modi

Convoluted, but it should work!
but take it with a huge grain of salt.

not many desktop dac are compatible with android or iphone and there are not all that many dac which are reasonably priced for iphone.

now, if you need the amplifier to be portable, the o2 amp perhaps or on the cheap an a3 might work

Solution