Solved! Data loss after restart

Jun 23, 2019
Device is Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) 4G LTE (SM-T285), running Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop), without root.

Device suddenly lost network coverage (not the first time), and flight mode did not solve it (not the first time, also), and the only way usually was to restart (power off/on).

Usually that would solve the problem.

This time, the same thing happened, and upon restarting the device, it spent a long time at the Samsung logo/splash screen (which is abnormal), and when it finally reached the lock screen, it took a while before the entire screen was loaded (wallpaper appeared first, then the time...). Upon entering into the home screen, some (not all) widgets were missing (noticeably the custom downloaded ones).

Opened the usual apps to pick up from where I left off, and those apps ran as though it was the first time (as if it was just installed). App data (that was stored on internal storage) was lost. Other data (SMS, pictures) were intact.

My immediate concern/focus right now is to recover the lost data, either by fixing this abnormality (safe mode/guest mode, maybe?), and if that fails, at least recover the lost data (preferably without requiring root).

Any ideas?

Solution
Before trying the info below, I would really suggest trying loading your phone in "Safe Mode" to see if the phone will load fine in there. While you can't access most apps from this mode, if it loads fine and quickly, that will tell you that there is likely something on the device that is the problem. Bad app(s), malware, virus, etc., which you would then have to remove to resolve things. Should there still be missing data, then try the info below about recovery.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the...
Before trying the info below, I would really suggest trying loading your phone in "Safe Mode" to see if the phone will load fine in there. While you can't access most apps from this mode, if it loads fine and quickly, that will tell you that there is likely something on the device that is the problem. Bad app(s), malware, virus, etc., which you would then have to remove to resolve things. Should there still be missing data, then try the info below about recovery.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Note: If you have the backup and sync option turned on, then the following may be of help. https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128867?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

While there is no guaranty that you can get them back, there are a few apps/programs out there that 'may' be able to help you recover the data.

A few of the programs you could try would be... DiskDigger, MobiSaver, Android-Recovery and Tenorshare. They are all data recovery apps/programs. There are many others out there, so check around and see which you would rather try. There is also one called RECUVA, that I have heard is free, which you could try.

One important note though, most of these programs are not free. They may say they are "free" or have "Free Trials" and "Free Downloads". Yet to actually recover your data, and get your files back, you may be have to purchase the program/app. Just so you know.

NOTE: For future reference, I really would suggest backing up your data to a computer or cloud. Often. Better to spend the time doing that, rather than to be out all that stuff if the phone dies, things get deleted/erased or it gets stolen.

Solution
Jun 23, 2019

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Note: If you have the backup and sync option turned on, then the following may be of help. https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128867?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

While there is no guaranty that you can get them back, there are a few apps/programs out there that 'may' be able to help you recover the data.

A few of the programs you could try would be... DiskDigger, MobiSaver, Android-Recovery and Tenorshare. They are all data recovery apps/programs. There are many others out there, so check around and see which you would rather try. There is also one called RECUVA, that I have heard is free, which you could try.

One important note though, most of these programs are not free. They may say they are "free" or have "Free Trials" and "Free Downloads". Yet to actually recover your data, and get your files back, you may be have to purchase the program/app. Just so you know.

NOTE: For future reference, I really would suggest backing up your data to a computer or cloud. Often. Better to spend the time doing that, rather than to be out all that stuff if the phone dies, things get deleted/erased or it gets stolen.
I will try Safe Mode, however my concern right now is to recover the lost data (which is more important). I am actually more concerned if I actually restarted into Safe Mode, causing this abnormality, however I see that unlikely.

The device is actually running fine (from observations). I restarted it a few times subsequently after this problem occurred, and apart from the lost data/widgets still remaining the same, the rest seem to be fine.

My concern, still, is the lost data.