Data Usage Questions

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Hi everyone,

Recently I upgraded my phone to the new HTC one (M8) and so far I think it is a really awesome phone. However, it is not only my first Android device but also my first smartphone, as I always was reluctant to pay the exorbitant monthly rate for something I thought I would never use (I was wrong, of course). Since this is my first smartphone, I am not really familiar with data and system settings associated with it.

Anyways, (TL;DR) is it better for the data limit and phone battery to keep data entirely turned off when not in use, or to disable background data and leave it on constantly, or to just always leave it on unrestricted? Obviously I know the last will use the most of battery and data, but is it worth the extra convenience?

Thanks!

Solution
Good to hear.

WiFi is a great way to cut data use and these things get more efficient all the time. Now if they can keep bigger batteries we could change these things less often.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Switching DATA off should still allow calls and text messages(without images) to work.

As a new user you should keep it off when not using it just in case a background program wants to use it.

Now when you are within range of your own or other wireless networks(wifi), connect to those because they will not use your data. You can get updates and surf the net on these WiFi access points without fear of jacking you bill.

Turning OFF WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use can extend battery like. The data setting may help depending on your program, but you still ping the cellular towers and send/receive calls over the same radio.

With the level of integration, power usage should be getting better if phone makers stop trying to make these things razer thin.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
OK yes I understand the Bluetooth and WiFi thing since I did have a few iPod Touches before my smartphone, so I know that at least already. Thanka for confirming though.

What I am uncertain of the benefits and drawbacks of is the actual data connection when I am away from WiFi. Is it really best to turn off data constantly unless you are using it actively? I'm not so worried about the data usage (although I don't have unlimited) because in my first month where I feel I used my phone a high amount, I only used 20% of my data (~400 MB out of 2 GB) and only have 4 days left to use what is left, so I have some overhead in that area.

What I care more about is my battery life.I feel that a smartphone is worthless if it spends time you need it dead in your pocket, so I try to maximize my battery. Would it make a difference between the data connection being off and the background data restricted with no apps actively open?

nukemaster

Distinguished
I do not know how much difference it would make.

As long as background apps are not using it, chances are it(the wireless radio) will just stay sleeping or in a low power state with the exception to the occasional check for towers.

Your best bet would be to try and see since all phones are a bit different.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Through my experimentation, what I have done is left data enabled at all times, with the background restriction enabled as well. This seems to be very efficient in battery life usage, and only uses data when I am explicitly and actively using an app that uses data. It also automatically shuts itself off when I am near WiFi, assuming I have WiFi connectivity turned on. This is what I have found to be the best combo, since it uses minimal battery and data yet also maximized the convenience that makes smartphones so desirable.