Dead Lenovo T410

milazzorob

Commendable
May 8, 2016
My lenovo T410 went dead suddenly just after booting to the Windows logon screen. All was well when I powered down a few hours earlier. Now there is not even a charge indicater light when pluged in. I tried every thing removable ect. in my partners identical machine (stock machines purchaced together for incentive) and the battery, charger, memory all work fine in his machine while his "parts" do nothing for my situation. The only thing different is I'm running Windows Insider preview builds. However the machine had been running fine after the latest build was installed. I reall love this laptop and would like to keep using it while awaiting new tec. to become available in 2017. Some of you will know what I mean...! Any help or sugestions ...most gratefull.

Solution
Motherboards don't usually crap out though it does happen. When I open laptops the most common cause is the power path... DC/DC converter for example. I think it's called the small power interface board on your lenovo. Usually you can find them cheaply, 10-15 bucks, it's a relatively easy change and is the first thing to gun for before a full system board swap.

It's sort of like when your car won't start because the battery is dead, if the battery is in that 10 year old range, you tend to think it's not holding a charge because of age, after you try a new battery then you can diagnose further (usually more expensive faults) problems like an alternator or engine management computer etc..

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Motherboards don't usually crap out though it does happen. When I open laptops the most common cause is the power path... DC/DC converter for example. I think it's called the small power interface board on your lenovo. Usually you can find them cheaply, 10-15 bucks, it's a relatively easy change and is the first thing to gun for before a full system board swap.

It's sort of like when your car won't start because the battery is dead, if the battery is in that 10 year old range, you tend to think it's not holding a charge because of age, after you try a new battery then you can diagnose further (usually more expensive faults) problems like an alternator or engine management computer etc..

Solution