Decent laptop for light gaming?

darryl305

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
WEll I am getting a few dollars this tax year. I am looking into getting my first laptop. I have built a few desktops before, but never had reason to get laptop, until now.

My question is, what type of gaming, and multimedia experience, can I have on a laptop, as compared to my current desktop?

My desktop had an :AMD Phenom II quadcore, 3.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR, Nvidea Geforece 460 GT

OK ANd here is link to the laptop I am thinking to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829
Ok so its a :
Lenovo G505s (59373010) AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz) 6GB Memory 1TB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8 ( IN case link dont work for you)

WIth htis laptop, would I be able to play any type of Battlefield 3 ( In low settings) How about older games? Or browser games? And also, streaming live, and such?

WOuld I be able to record, render, and upload gaming footage? If so, what limits?

LIke using Fraps, and SOny Vegas.

SO how much of a differnce will I notice from my desktop? Also, If this laptop isnt too good,can any one suggest? I am looking to spend $400-$700 USD. But, I dont want to pay alot more, for something I dont need.
OK thanks!

Oh SIde note: I wonder, how easy is it to have the laptop display on my tv? I have a standard flatscrren HDMI TV, so Can I just connect the laptop to it with a HDMI cable, and thats it? ok thanks!

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
that laptop will play bf3 around 30 fps but i think the benchmarks were done in single player so its probably lower. Browser games should be no problem.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A10-5750M-Notebook-Processor.92882.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483.0.html

for video rendering and gaming on a laptop, its better to save up more money, and get a good one. Mayb around $900. you want a strong cpu (i5 or i7) with a GPU (gt 740 or higher)

Whoa Whoa WHOA! Your all over the map with your expectations. First off ANY computer will be better then your desktop (it may seem 'blazing fast' in comparision but then run into issue with 2013 games because really it isn't that 'fast'). Now laptops come in three forms CHEAP (like that A10) that is for Grandma to get to email, look at the kids pictures and yes watch youtube kitty videos, then GENERAL (i3-i5) that has more 'meat' behind the CPU but they tend to still only have Integrated Graphics (IG) so they work 'faster' but are NOT made for gaming, then you have HEAVY (i5-i7) that includes a dedicated GPU to play games (normally called Gamer's Laptops) and do high end business work (large spreadsheets, BASIC video - music editing, etc.). The last class is much more expensive (usually $1500-2000+) as compared to desktop for four reasons; WEIGHT (making the parts light enough not to be a 'brick' to carry around), FORMFACTOR (to make them 'sizewise' fit in that small portable laptop size as compared to Desktop cases), POWER (laptops run on battery, that users want to last as long as their cell phones - aka ALL DAY), and HEAT (being in that small formfactor makes heat increase and hard to cool). IF you went back to 'desktop' idea, you still can't "game" for $400-500, you MINIMALLY can at $600 IF you have your own copy of Windows off the shelf (i.e. was not included with your Dell/gateway/etc.), else you MINIMALLY can get a desktop 'build it yourself' for $700 for a desktop. This is 'about' the same price as a 'low end gamer's rig' sold by stores (Walmart, CostCo, BestBuy, etc.) and can be found in some of the PC Magazines as well as if you look at the scroll bar on Tom's Hardware front page there are several 'gaming for $xxx' article price ranges, normally desktops.

Now for 'Browser games', any PC can handle those, and considered the 'normal use' of a PC (i.e. all those Facebook games). 'Streaming live' depends what your streaming, if you mean using Skype, yes again standard can do, if you mean 'in game footage' (i.e. www.twitch.tv) HELL NO, see below. As for HDMI to your TV or anything else, that is commonly done BUT not 'commonly included', and all depends on the laptop (see the ports on it when you go to purchase it). Many to be 'cheap' don't do HDMI out but only VGA (UGHS!).

For playing BF3 or any such game, you still need a dedicated Video Card to render it, if your willing to be one of those whom would play in 'low settings' 800x600 display and above 15FPS is 'good enough' then yeah again any PC could potentially do that crappy playing.

I would warn you NOT to waste your money though, why spend $500-1000 to play so crappy when a PS3/Xbox is less then $200 that can play 'those older games' and look a hell lot better for much less cost?

Now to do record, render, upload and using things like Sony Vegas or FRAPS, would again put you in need of a dedicated video card to do any of that successfully. The normal 'bar' for gaming standards is against the current 2013 games like Assassin's Creed 3, BF4, etc.

In summary your MAX price range is HALF the cost of a portable (Laptop) gaming rig and won't be enough to get one 'off the shelf' today. You can for that price range get a nice laptop for GENERAL uses and maybe some really old games (i.e. 2009 or older) may play on them at medium-high depending on the IG included (suggest a Haswell iCore chipset be the best assurance it would play).

LummusMaximus

Honorable
My laptop, with its A8-4500m and Radeon 8750m can play some games, but compared to my ~5 year old mid-range desktop, the performance is about even, with the desktop winning out. Given you didn't mention any GPUs, I can only assume you mean that it runs an iGPU, lowering your framerate. Or If I were you, I would definitely save a bit more or look at other options.

Any Ax is a APU, which is a integrated GPU onto the CPU chip itself, and these are made SPECIFICALLY for low end, low power, 90% of general use marketspace people whom want a laptop but couldn't afford the more expensive ones, and just need to 'get on the internet' or other 'low end' work. The APU is NOT capable nor even bothered with testing for 'gaming' because it was never meant to be, that is why the FX line exists for AMD (on desktops I know, but that is AMDs fault not mine) for more 'demanding' applications (like games).

I didn't mention specific GPUs for the laptops (if your referring to me) is because 2013 games going forward are BOTH CPU and GPU intensive, meaning the CPU work AS if not HARDER then the GPU, to perform the 'non-rendering' work (physics for how a wall breaks based on the type of weapon used, the 'smarts' of the AI, etc.) 5 years ago, the solution was always 'more GPU better game' because it was mainly about 'rendering' (drawing the picture on your LCD) that was what CPUs were unable to do 'on their own'. Now both Intel and AMD include 'basic' GPU functions inside the CPU itself, so Joe Consumer doesn't need 'to waste money on a dedicate gamer's video card' just to write in Word or look at Webpages, but their approaches to the problem (needing a GPU without a video card) were different and different timing of when they were implemented.

That said, your laptop I wouldn't bother with except to do as I mentioned (check email, write a document, etc.) or pass it to your kid/family/friend to us. Really you need to stick (for laptops) to the iCores, most specifically the i5 or best yet i7 for proper 'gaming' with the separate 'GPU' card included inside.

For this OP, I would agree this might be the best solution :)
For anyone else: NO! Two big FAIL on it,
1) 5400 RPM HDD, will slow and drag performance by the i7/GPU would provide because the drive loads data so slow
2) the 720M is 'entry level' GPU (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-720M.90247.0.html) and BARELY get 30FPS on LOW on BF4!

Spending $700 for this would be a waste IMHO, because anyone else could buy a $249 i3 laptop to do 'Internet/Computer stuff' then spend under $200 and get a PS3/Xbox360 and play BF4 a hell lot better then 'Low graphics settings for 30FPS' and still save $250.

darryl305

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Hmm okay I guess I should be more specific. Money is VERY tight for me now. But I have a new job, which requires a 3 hour bus ride, and a sleepover at my workplace. SO i am looking for something, that would be able to do, a good portion of what my desktop can do. ( You say my desktop isnt so good, but I can play BF3, in high settings, and all the new MMO games, without issue)

SO, What I am looking for is a Laptop that could play most PC games from 1998-2010. As far as the newest games, I already have a Wii, U, and PS4, so I am not interested in games that are available for those systems.

I dont except to play battlefield 4, or Crysis on max settings with it. But, would perhaps be somewhat playable of maybe older title, like CoD4, BF2, maybe some RTS, like Starcraft 2, or Lord of the the rings, battle for middle earth.

I DO have battlefield 3, and wonder if it would be acceptable to play in low settings? Again, I dont want to spend the extra 200-300 buks, for very little performence.

I realize a "GOOD gaming rig" would be over $1,500. But just need something I can take on the bus, have a t work, and then play some multiplayer games with my son.

But there are emulators I like to play, And watching movies, live streams, etc. ALso PC games like NeverWinter NIghts, And some MMO like LOTRO, Age of Wushu, Mortal Online, and upcoming one, "The Repopulation"

SO, any suggests? thanks!

The problem is, to do 'the same thing your desktop can do' in 'portability' is a serious problem due to trying to make all the parts lightweight (carry around a 12lb brick all day and see what you think), dissipating all the heat it builds up, fit into the small 'case' of the laptop, and not eat up all the power in 15-20 min. Normally the prices are between $800-$2000 because of these factors raise the cost to manufacture them.

You could go i3 but better for i5 core (normal minimal game platform) and you should AVOID any Ax laptops (A8,A9,A10) as these are APUs made to be "low power, low cost, low use" (aka cheapy to just 'get online and write emails') that can't game a shit worth. Until the Haswell release all instances of Integrated Graphics were made to just 'display' on the screen, not to 'render' graphics like in gaming (basically the answer to the consumer question, why do I need a video card all I need it to do is turn on and show me what I am clicking on).

Lastly you missed the prime buying season (Back to School and the 2 weeks before Black Friday) to get significant discounts on the prices. Right now the stock is lower (slower buying season) and thus costs more. The next buying season is coming up (Summer time for kids).

That said, the i3 you picked IS Haswell chipset using the newer IG chipset, which you will get scores like this for gaming
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600.86106.0.html (great site and always shows the best scores for gaming).
If you spot the games your planning to play, based on that level of graphics, that is basically the FPS you will get.

If you save more money ($300) you could get this rig instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=ExsoAI3mEeOOOf70KdAAXgsl0C_Wosu3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16834233013&cm_sp= Which would be a much better 'long term' investment of spending so little more ($330) money, as you can see here http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-730M.84681.0.html your doubling the 'FPS' on many of the same games as the i3 you picked out.

Basically that would be the best deals, you can't get a laptop that can 'render' games for $300-500, it just isn't built into the hardware, and if your set on 'needing a game-able laptop' while on those long bus trip, it will cost you.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
A9? That does not exist. APUs go E1, E2, A4, A6, A10. In terms of performance, an A10 is about on par with an i3. However, it's definately best to get any laptop for 'gaming' with a dedicated GPU. I would recommend looking at a HP Pavilion, as some of those have fantastic value for money.

A10 is NOT on par with a i3, in fact it is quite LOW in performance:

"The image above illustrates AMD's gaming message as it prepares to roll out its Trinity-based APUs. Those look like pretty incredible gains, don't they? A quick glance at the fine print, however, reveals that these internally-run benchmarks put the A10-5800K against Intel's last-gen Core i3-2120 with HD Graphics 2000, which amounts to a worst-case scenario for Intel."

" it's fairly safe to say you won't be playing Crysis 2, Witcher 2, or Battlefield 3 at 1920x1080, even at the lowest detail settings those games offer, and that'll almost certainly remain the case until both AMD and Intel introduce the next generation of hardware. "

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/trinity-gaming-performance,3304.html

We are talking COD:Ghosts, BF4, AC4, etc. and the testing was done on COD:MW3! Talk about a jump back in time. And it can't "even at the lowest detail settings those games offer" (Crysis 2, BF3, Witcher 2). APU as advertised by AMD is "Low power, Low Cost, Low demand" systems, mainly meant for the Tablet market NOT home gaming desktops. That is what the FX line is supposed to resolve for 'best solution', though now with Haswell chipset AMD has lost more ground (ARGH!!!!) and that even the top end FX-8350 now is just in front of a i3 Haswell, and solidly behind i5 Haswells in ALL of the new round tests (AAAARRRGH!!!).