Deciding on a general purpose laptop for my girlfriend

Cwbatson

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
So heres the general idea: I'm helping my girlfriend choose a new laptop to buy. She lives in the UK and is just about to graduate college and is going to buy a new computer. She doesn't game too much but does more than I'd say the average girl does (she likes the sims and games like peggle and *** like that). Mainly it needs to be good for listening to music and surfing the internet. I know that I could just get her basically any computer and it would suit her needs fine, but I want a great computer for her that will run a long time and run a long tell well.

Atm I'm thinking about recommending a dell inspiron 1564.
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspiron-1564?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~inspiron-1564_n0056411~~

Other suggestions are very much appreciated. I also definitely want a dedicated graphics cards because well we all know integrated sucks.

1_What is your budget?
500-1000 Pounds (760-1500 dollars)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6 screen size, maybe a little smaller.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't especially matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement that should be able to be relatively easy to move.

5_How much battery life do you need?
3 hours should be sufficient nothing extra long.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not much of a gamer, she plays stuff like the Sims and stuff so it'd be nice if she could play the Sims 3 and future ones relatively well.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Music movies generael purpose stuff, nothing heavy duty like video/photo editing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
320 should be fine but more is fine too.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Personally I like the look and feel of dell laptops but since its for my girlfriend I don't really know if she cares. But I'd prefer something that looks nice and works well.
Probably a Sony or Dell I think but all types are welcome for suggestions.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-5 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don't think she needs Blu-Ray but dvd writer would be good(probably standard nowadays)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Dell or another well known brand.

13_What country do you live in?
She lives in the UK.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
I think you pretty much nailed it.
The only caveat in your list of requirements I see is that the 1564 and it's stock GMA 4500HD graphics chip is weaker than you might like playing Sims3. It's only at the lowest graphics detail setting that you'd get smooth game play.
Getting the 1564 model with the Mobility Radeon HD 4330 upgrade will fix that - allowing medium graphics quality settings.
Sims3 on Laptop graphics cards
The top of the line 1564 with it's Core i5-520M and Mobility Radeon HD 5450 might be a good bet to cover the future versions.
I think you pretty much nailed it.
The only caveat in your list of requirements I see is that the 1564 and it's stock GMA 4500HD graphics chip is weaker than you might like playing Sims3. It's only at the lowest graphics detail setting that you'd get smooth game play.
Getting the 1564 model with the Mobility Radeon HD 4330 upgrade will fix that - allowing medium graphics quality settings.
Sims3 on Laptop graphics cards
The top of the line 1564 with it's Core i5-520M and Mobility Radeon HD 5450 might be a good bet to cover the future versions.

Solution

Cwbatson

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks guys, yea I was thinking the one with the dedicated graphics card but must have just sent the wrong link.
Side note- Can't believe I just found this site its everything I've been looking for for a long time