Decision Regarding Gaming Laptop

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
I am Planning to buy a Dell Alienware 15 6th gen Laptop. Should I go for the Gtx 970m and Amplifier or should I get the 980m version. If not any of these should I build a Gaming PC. Also Please tell me about the experience of owning an Alienware, is it good for heavy Gaming, what are the benefits of owning one and how is the quality?

Solution
You can't move the Windows setup from your old drive, you need a clean setup. You can do a user profile backup and restore in Windows though to make things easier, but you would want to install Windows clean unless your motherboards are the same chipset.

Just pick a power supply from Tier 1 or 2 and see what is available in your area and any WD Blue or Black model drive in the size you want. We often suggest exact models only to get back "I can't buy that where I am" so I just link a range of products you can pick from that are all more or less equal.

Case will be fine, plenty of space.

jollypirate

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
The 980m is better than the 970m. You can build a way better gaming pc for the same price as the laptop ( a gtx 980m is a bit weaker than a desktop 970)
so if you dont absolutley need to be gaming on the go desktop is usually a better option

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

Even I had a Plan to build a gaming Pc but suddenly I don't know for some reason i got attracted to Gaming Laptops. I currently own a Gaming pc Specs are:
i5-4440
Amd R9 270X 2gb
8gb ram.

Forget about building a Pc just tell me what are the Benefits of Owning a gaming laptop. Also tell me that the Alienware 15 is good or not Since I am getting it for almost 1150+ the retailer is ready to exchange my current pc for it, So i may end up with a discount.

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

There shouldn't be a problem for changing a cpu since an i7 is really powerfull. Ram can also be upgradable and if I get 16gb ram there is no need of upgrading ram since these days games run flawlessly even on 8gb ram. As far as graphics card is concerned I have an option of getting an amplifier and getting full fleged graphics performance and I wont even run bottlenecking since my cpu is powerful.

A mobile i7 is not as good as a desktop i7.

And you are paying about double the price for the laptop for the same performance as a desktop with that external video card adapter if you go that way, when you already have the desktop.

If you want to convince yourself that you need the laptop though, up to you, get it.

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

Ok then can u please list me the specs, Preferences are: Extremely good looks (red and black) best performance for the price. So I can check the pricing since I live in india so prices may vary. I also want a monitor in the price.

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

I checked on Xotic PC but they are very Costly. Buying Prebuilt pc is very costly and You also wont get the Specifications you want. Can you Please suggest me a list of Parts under 1500$ (including a monitor and peripherals). The Theme should be Red and Black.

Thank You.

Are you looking for a laptop or a desktop? If a desktop, why are you upgrading what you have if you have a i5-4440 with a 270x card? Those are solid mid-range specs and should run any game.

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

Well I want to run every game at ultra settings which the R9 270x is not capable of, also I want a future proof graphics card. As far as Cpu is concerned it is good but not great. Please suggest me a full fleged future proof rock soild gaming rig under 1500$ . I mean I want everything in that including monitor and peripherals (keyboard and mouse). I am planning to buy from the dealer from whom I bought the previous pc and he is ready for an exchange and giving me some discount. Please suggest me a excellent gaming pc with monitor and peripherals under 1500$. My preference is good looks and the cabinet must have sufficient space for cooling.

Thank you!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

One thing is the Alienware with the 970 and the amplifer is you would have to purchase a desktop graphics card for the amplifier. I'm not gamer but have an AW 18 and it's a strong build the 15" is the same type case just smaller.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Xotic pc allows you to configure alomost every system.

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

Well I had a look at that build but the problem is that India those suggested parts are a bit costly. Especially the R9 390 its almost 600$. I have chosen the parts they are as follows:

1: Intel core i5-6600K
2:Asus Z170 Pro Gaming LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
3:Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8)
4:WD 1TB Caviar Green
5: Corsair Obsidian 450D Case
6:Corsair CSM CS 650M 650 Watt Psu
7:MSI GTX 970 4gb
8:Samsung 850 evo 250gb
9:LG DVD internal Drive
10: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PS: Should I got with the Asus Motherboard or MSI Z170A M5 Motherboard
Also tell me whether the parts are good or not.

Thank You.

I don't like the Green drives too much, their main selling point is low power use, and with your system saving 5 watts of power when you have a video card that uses 30 times that is silly. Get a Blue or Black WD drive. The Green can take a few seconds to spin up and can cause small issues at times due to them powering down to save power.

System looks good although the power supply is a bit marginal for a gaming system, see if you can get a model from Tier 1 or Tier 2 here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Shanpats27

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

Thanks for your reply
Please suggest me a good hardrive and a Psu. My Windows is in my old Hardrive and that is a wd green, can I transfer the windows data or reinstall with the disc. Also please tell me whether the system is good or not and also tell me your opinion about the case.

Thank You!

You can't move the Windows setup from your old drive, you need a clean setup. You can do a user profile backup and restore in Windows though to make things easier, but you would want to install Windows clean unless your motherboards are the same chipset.

Just pick a power supply from Tier 1 or 2 and see what is available in your area and any WD Blue or Black model drive in the size you want. We often suggest exact models only to get back "I can't buy that where I am" so I just link a range of products you can pick from that are all more or less equal.

Case will be fine, plenty of space.

Solution