Decisions...decisions..

bengrant

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Okay... I have to make a choice between two laptops. Any "real world" insight would be appreciated.
I'm purchasing a laptop as a gift for a friend. I can get a great deal through work, but my options are limited. The computer will be used for web surfing, email, an occasional spreadsheet and photo-shopping pics of the nieces and nephews.

Option A : Inspiron 1520 w/ Core 2 Duo T5450 (1.66 Ghz) 1.5 gigs ram & Vista Basic
Option B : Inspiron 1501 w/ Turion X2 TL60 (2 Ghz) 1 Gig ram & XP Home

The 1501 is about $100 less ( w/ comparable video and storage )

Given the impending use of this machine and the fact that Vista is somewhat of a resource hog, is it worth the extra C note to go for the Core Duo or will I get better bang for the the buck on an X2 running Windows XP.

Again, any input would be grately appreciated.
Thanx!!

Well, the needs of the laptop are very basic. Either one would be able to handle what you want it to do. Do you have a way of finding if your friend has used Vista before? or if s/he even wants to use it? That could be a deciding factor too. If he/she doesn't care, get the cheaper of the two.

bengrant

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006

Thanks for the input. I asked and the OS is not much of an issue , although her only experience is w/ NT and XP. From what I've read, one would believe that the machine with XP and the Turion to be a little more responsive than the Core Duo because Vista is so demanding on memory, GPU etc...

Is that even close to being logical?

pjumpleby

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
go with A. not sure but theres been loads of buzz about a VISTA downgrade disc or something so you may be able to have xo

bengrant

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006

Is the Core2 machine going to be that much better?

bengrant

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
That makes two of us. It's only a $110 difference, but it would certainly be nice to use my funds as efficiently as possible.