Deleted Facebook Pics Still There 16 Months Later

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Stories like these make me glad I never gave in to my friends, family, and their friends telling me I should get a facebook account.

That and the idea of employers looking me up.

The only reason I have a twitter account is so that I can participate in the Crave givaways that Cnet.com does. It is the only social network I have ever had an account with.

randomizer

Distinguished
I don't see why they need a "fix" for this. The software should have been set up to update the CDN as soon as a photo is deleted from the start. This "fix" is just a change to a deliberate part of the original design.

elingeniero09

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Thankfully, I'm starting to pull off from the stupid site, a step at a time. First of all, stopped using Mafia Wars (1.5 month now). Second, being offline all the time. The third step which is yet to come; delete my account from the site (I know it won't be deleted permenantly but still, I don't care. I don't have a single picture in the profile)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Working with CDN? Seriously, how freaking hard can it be to have them delete photos within 6 months? It isn't like you don't have any pull Facebook, you're only the largest social networking website on the internet with one of the richest CEO punks in the world.

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
The data has to effectively be erased from all locations, including
backups. This is possible, but non-trivial, to do this for the
data under Facebook's control, but naturally data copied from
Facebook would be much harder, to control.

Changing the links to the data and erasing the live copies
of data that is explicitly deleted doesn't solve the problem.

Handling the problem of backups might mean that explicitly
deleted data doesn't have to be erased from the live copies,
but in the meantime explicitly deleted data should be erased
from the live copies of the Facebook database.

Data stored on solid state disks also needs to be handled,
but handling the problem of effectively erasing the
data stored in WORM backups might automatically solve
the problem of data not actually be erased when it
is erased on solid state disks.

Erasing data in "caches" that aren't backed
up is needed, but doesn't solve the problem.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]mark0718[/nom]The data has to effectively be erased from all locations, includingbackups. This is possible, but non-trivial, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah[/citation]

Just delete the image file the link will be broken no matter who tries to access it. If someone sets a file to be deleted, then delete it, don't just remove the facebook page reference and leave everything else in the back untouched. How freakin lazy is that.

jamnc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nativeson8803[/nom]Damn. Why, why, why did I ever get involved in Facebook?[/citation]

I was told there would be cake...

Cyex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
This isn't just Facebook. We all should assume that anything posted online on any site is on some hard drive somewhere *permanently*. That goes for photos on Facebook or posts on Tom's hardware. Don't post or upload anything unless you're okay with it being online until the end of time. And think how cheap storage is going to be in 50+ years.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]nativeson8803[/nom]Damn. Why, why, why did I ever get involved in Facebook?[/citation]

Because you thought...well, my life isn't exciting enough as is...let's join WasteBook to annihilate some additional time.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Cyex[/nom]This isn't just Facebook. We all should assume that anything posted online on any site is on some hard drive somewhere *permanently*. That goes for photos on Facebook or posts on Tom's hardware. Don't post or upload anything unless you're okay with it being online until the end of time. And think how cheap storage is going to be in 50+ years.[/citation]
For real. Get over it. This isn't the 50's anymore where your career is ruined when you have an affair or do something "wrong". 21st century, get with the program, the business-social consequence model is being slowly broken, who cares if you got wasted on saturday and took photos with your head in a toilet if you do a damn good job presenting your project on monday and everything goes well. Just be accountable. Humans still act in the same self-destructive manner as they always have, it is just easier to document and record these acts now. The people who patrol facebook and don't hire applicants because of lewd photos will be limiting their applicant pool on ill-conceived notions of after-hours activities affecting workplace habits. It happens, sure, but not to the degree that this paranoid fear has taken it. If your HR department relies on social networks to choose employees, then get a new HR department, because they are supposed to be hiring them for the JOB, not to hang out or marry into their families. Let's get back to hiring based on qualifications for the job, not whatever nonsense this is evolving into.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, this should deter people from mindlessly posting anything which may at some time become embarrassing for them.[/citation]
Hope that's sarcasm :p cause dumb people will do dumb things no matter what :p

Cyex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]If you don't like the way FB works then close your account and move along[/citation]

That doesn't help. You can't truly close a Facebook account. All your info + pics are still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.