Dell 7537 Black Screen question

rjv.langley

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Laptop works using HDMI to external TV. I have tried all of the options and have yet to find the actual cause of the black screen on my laptop.
I am wondering if there is a way to prove if the problem is the actual LCD display panel or if it could be some other hardware or software problem.
My laptop is the Dell 7535 Inspiron 15. I am running Win 8.1. All drivers are up to date. The symptom - my screen was flickering in the month or so before it went black...but only when the lid was moved. When the screen finally went completely black I connected the laptop to a monitor through the HDMI port and was able to pull off all my data without issue. I double checked all patches and drivers. I ran the dell diagnostics but they returned nothing. I made the assumption, due to the earlier flickering, that the LCD cable was the problem and just replaced it. No change. To be clear, I have tried the static charge experiment (removing power and battery and holding power button on for 30 seconds, then one minute, then two minutes). I also tried swapping the two RAM. I am assuming (dangerous I know) that if the external monitor works then the video card and video driver are probably not the problem. The touch screen still works.
Before I purchase a replacement display panel is there anything I can still test to ensure that this is the most likely cause of the problem?
Very much appreciated.
Richard

Solution

There may not be an inverter, if the screen is LED backlit there may not be one.

rjv.langley

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Thanks for the response hang-the-9. I can't find a listing for an inverter for this laptop...are you sure there is a replaceable inverter for the 7537 (is it possibly a component of the video card ..this is the card in my laptop NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 750M 2 GB DDR5)...As you can tell I am not a techie but I do understand troubleshooting and isolating components...I just don't know enough about computers to understand if I can isolate and test some of these parts. Thanks again. Richard

There may not be an inverter, if the screen is LED backlit there may not be one.

Solution