Solved! Dell Inspiron 15 7559 - Very Dim Screen

MasterLocke93

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
This issue is driving me completely insane. About a month and a half ago, the screen on this laptop went very dim. I had been using the laptop when I left my apartment to go and do something. I didn't shut the laptop off or anything, and when I came back I noticed that the screen had gone black, despite the laptop still being on. After restarting the laptop a few times, I noticed that the screen had an image on it, but it was very dim. Fortunately, the laptop has worked perfectly when it is connected to an external monitor.

I've done a few things now to try and fix this issue. First I replaced the LCD cable and tried it with the original screen, but the screen was still very dim. I then went through three replacement screens (I kept trying new screens because I thought they were just incompatible with the laptop) until I finally realized that the third screen had the same dim display as the original screen. So I'm thinking that it might not actually be a problem with the LCD cable or screen. I've also tried updating the display drivers and the BIOS of the laptop.

I should mention that about a month before this issue appeared, I made a few repairs/upgrades to the laptop. I replaced both the top and bottom portions of the case because the hinges of the laptop had caused the case to come apart. I also added an HDD to the laptop and upgraded the Wi-Fi card that came with the laptop.

I have no clue what could be causing this. I've read tons of forums and it can be anything from the lock mechanism interfering with the power going to the screen to, god forbid, the actual motherboard.

So here I am with a nice gaming laptop that can only be used with an external monitor because the built-in display remains very dim and replacing the LCD cable and actual screen hasn't solved the issue. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated! I can provide additional information if needed.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from MasterLocke93 : "Dell Inspiron 15 7559 - Very Dim Screen"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from MasterLocke93 : "Dell Inspiron 15 7559 - Very Dim Screen"