Dell Inspiron 15 7559 vs HP Omen 15

benbenhor

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I'm looking for an all rounder laptop that will be mainly used for some gaming (GTA V being the most demanding) and multimedia. Found the 2 choices below and am having a dilemma between the two.

7559 specs:
i7 6700HQ
GTX 960m 4GB
8GB DDR3L
1TB SSHD 5400rpm
15.6-inch FHD IPS? (some websites say it's IPS while others don't mention it)
$3590 + $209 for an SSD
= $3799

Omen 15 specs:
i7 6700HQ
GTX 960m 4GB
8GB DDR4
128GB SSD
1TB HDD 7200rpm
15.6-inch FHD IPS
$3650

Don't be shocked by the prices, it's just the weak currency I have in my country here. Not really looking for any other recommendations as they might not be available where I live and may be out of my budget.

Solution
Overall, I like how the HP Omen 15 looks. It is sleek and all ports are in the back. However, two things I do not like are #1 the trackpad which is the size of an iPhone, and #2 if you want to upgrade anything, then you need to peel off the rubber feet because the screws are hidden underneath.

I have the Dell Inspiron 7559. It has an IPS screen. Upgrading it is easy, there is a single screw that secures that back panel. Just unscrew and gently pop off the panel.

You do not really need an i7 CPU if all you will be doing is playing games. The difference between the i5 and i7 (other than slightly higher clockspeed) is the i7 has Hyper Threading (HT). Only a handful of game (if that many) can take advantage of HT beyond maybe 2 or 3 FPS...
Overall, I like how the HP Omen 15 looks. It is sleek and all ports are in the back. However, two things I do not like are #1 the trackpad which is the size of an iPhone, and #2 if you want to upgrade anything, then you need to peel off the rubber feet because the screws are hidden underneath.

I have the Dell Inspiron 7559. It has an IPS screen. Upgrading it is easy, there is a single screw that secures that back panel. Just unscrew and gently pop off the panel.

You do not really need an i7 CPU if all you will be doing is playing games. The difference between the i5 and i7 (other than slightly higher clockspeed) is the i7 has Hyper Threading (HT). Only a handful of game (if that many) can take advantage of HT beyond maybe 2 or 3 FPS. The only game I know of is Overwatch and a indie space combat simulation back in 2013 which totally failed since it got really bad reviews. Unless Overwatch is the game you want to play, you are better off dropping down to the i5-6300HQ CPU. If you want to record gameplay video, then stick with the i7-6700HQ.

Solution

REEF BOY

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017