Question Dell Inspiron 1501 and Windows 10 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2020
Greetings:

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I was purchased in 2007 with Windows XP 32 bit. This being said, the architecture of the laptop is 64 bit.

I have wiped the hard drive (it's a 300GB 7200 rpm drive that I added,) and installed 4GB of RAM.

I have downloaded the 64 bit version of Windows 10 Home install disk onto a usb flash drive, and did a fresh install of the OS onto the laptop. The install went fine, short of having to find and install a driver for the Ricoh card reader. I found it, and all the hardware is listed as working properly, with the Windows 10 drivers.

It is currently an unlicensed copy. I want to test it to make sure it works, as well as being realistic to use, on the laptop. If it is, I will purchase the license. If it doesn't, I will have the laptop recycled. I've had Linux Mint 64 bit installed on it before, but I want my daughter to have a Windows machine at home for bare bones tasks (basic web browsing, email, word processing,) as well as having the computer's OS compatible with her school.

It's not lightning fast, but it's acceptable.

The only exception is watching, say, a youtube video. The video can playback choppy.

I wondered if it was a driver issue with the video card, so I found a legacy driver for an older Windows OS in 64 bit (can't remember if it was a Vista or Windows 7 driver,) but it works, but doesn't resolve the issue.

My computer's specs are the following:

Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop
Windows 10 Home, fresh install
Bios 2.6.3 (final bios release from Dell)
ACPI x64 based PC, ATI Radeon RS480
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6ghz
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 128MB
4GB RAM
Western Digital 300GB HD
Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Any advice would be appreciated on resolving the choppy streaming playback. Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2020
If anyone is searching for the solution to the question above, I figured it out.

Use the Vista 64 bit driver for the ATI Radeon xPress 1150 video card on Windows 10. Windows 10 uses a generic video driver, which does work, but when using a 64 bit driver meant for the video card back in the days of Vista, the video becomes a lot crisper, and the driver seems to work just as well as the generic video driver supplied by Windows 10.

Here is a working link to download the driver from ATI. Select the driver to download: WINDOWS VISTA-64 BIT EDITION

https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...i-radeon-xpress-series/ati-radeon-xpress-1150

To install, you must FORCE Windows to take the older Vista driver. If you try to update with the Vista driver by selecting Update Driver from Device Manager, you'll be told the latest driver is already installed (the generic Windows 10 driver.)

To bypass this, RIGHT CLICK on the Vista 64 bit driver after you download it, and select TROUBLESHOOT COMPATIBILITY. Go through the steps. When asked two options in reference to your driver, select the SECOND (bottom) option. Continue through the process, and you'll have a driver meant for your video card installed. Granted, it's from 3 operating systems ago, but the video looks a LOT better than the generic Windows 10 driver, and it DOES WORK.

orangeCat999

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014
Thanks apollo1980. Yours is the only reference I have found re upgrading the drivers for my Dell Inspiron 1501 Athlon X2 64 bit that originally came with Vista. I have upgraded to an SSD and to WIN 10 Home 1809. I have recently tried to update to 1909, and it seems to do fine, but on final reboot it gives a message "Undoing your updates..." . I did some searching of this and found the error 0xC1900101 which relates to driver??
When finished it leaves me at WIN 10 1809.
I tried the method you described - all seems to be going well - but in the end I get this error message:
Could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Implementation, version=2.0.3693.42531,
culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The
system cannot file the file specified.
Any advice regarding updating the driver or getting this older laptop to Windows 10 1909 would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jan 21, 2020
Ok, that error means you have some kind of ATI software installed on the system that Windows doesn't like. Perhaps the software Catalyst?

Try this. Type in Add/Remove in the search bar on the bottom, to pull up Add or Remove Programs, and load it.

Look for ANY software for ATI.

UNINSTALL IT.

Then, do your upgrade to windows.

After the upgrade, if you don't have your Vista drivers installed, FORCE those drivers back in again.

When I ran the software for the driver with Windows 10 v. 1909 (Which is what my Windows 10 install was all along, as I just did a fresh install) I got that error after rebooting (but my install was fine) I went to Add/Remove Programs, uninstalled the ATI software, rebooted, and viola, problem solved, and no more error.

Let me know if this method works, and good luck.

Jan 21, 2020
Thanks apollo1980. Yours is the only reference I have found re upgrading the drivers for my Dell Inspiron 1501 Athlon X2 64 bit that originally came with Vista. I have upgraded to an SSD and to WIN 10 Home 1809. I have recently tried to update to 1909, and it seems to do fine, but on final reboot it gives a message "Undoing your updates..." . I did some searching of this and found the error 0xC1900101 which relates to driver??
I tried the method you described - all seems to be going well - but in the end I get this error message:
culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The
Any advice regarding updating the driver or getting this older laptop to Windows 10 1909 would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ok, that error means you have some kind of ATI software installed on the system that Windows doesn't like. Perhaps the software Catalyst?

Try this. Type in Add/Remove in the search bar on the bottom, to pull up Add or Remove Programs, and load it.

Look for ANY software for ATI.

UNINSTALL IT.

Then, do your upgrade to windows.

After the upgrade, if you don't have your Vista drivers installed, FORCE those drivers back in again.

When I ran the software for the driver with Windows 10 v. 1909 (Which is what my Windows 10 install was all along, as I just did a fresh install) I got that error after rebooting (but my install was fine) I went to Add/Remove Programs, uninstalled the ATI software, rebooted, and viola, problem solved, and no more error.

Let me know if this method works, and good luck.

Jan 21, 2020
Thanks.

I just stumbled across something by accident that helps video playback on the Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows 10.

When doing a Windows 10 install, it DOES NOT include Visual C++ Redistributable. I found this out when I went to install OBS Studio (free webcam streaming and recording software) on the Dell Inspiron 1501. (Also found out that computer isn't powerful enough to run the OBS Studio Software) but that being said, OBS Studio, during the install, noted the system didn't have the software, and prompted you to download it (even included a link.) After I did this (and then discovered the system isn't powerful enough to run OBS Studio) I later saw youtube videos streaming on my web browsers to no longer burp or stall! I guess the Visual C++ Redistributable took care of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.