Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop problems :(

AlexK_98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Hi there :)

Since January 2007 I have owned a Dell Inspiron 1501 and am having a few irritating problems with it.

Firstly, the laptop is running XP SP 2 has 1GB of RAM and a 70GB HD. The CPU is an AMD Turion 64x2 1.60GHZ

The problem i am having is that the computer will run incredibly slowly periodically. There seems to be no pattern to when it will behave like this either. When the laptop is running slowly, typing is made virtually impossible, as there is a huge lag between pressing a key and the character appearing on screen. Even when the capslock key is pressed, it will take up to ten seconds for the caps lock light to come on. The effect this has on running applications is also inconsistant, sometimes the program will freeze, other times it will continue normaly with only keyboard input affected. If a key is pressed multiple times while the computer is frozen, nothing will happen untill the computer unfreezes, at which point it will emit loud beeps corresponding to the number of times the key was pressed. The laptop is now becoming unusable, for example, it took me about 15 minutes to type out this paragraph.

At first i thought that this must be due to some sort of malware or spyware installed on the system, however; i have now totally reformatted the HD twice and clean installed windows on both occasions. The problem is still there and nothing i have done seems to help.

Im not sure wether this is related to the problem above, but about the same time this started, the battery failed completely. The computer no longer recognizes it or the AC adapter, allthough it will run of AC power. The battery itself looks fine and when the button is pressed, the L.E.D's on the bottom of the battery indicate that it is fully charged. :S

Any help at all would be appreciated, im at a total loss with this laptop.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'd bet you have a faulty motherboard. either that or your system is overheating and the cpu is clocking itself back. I'd check both of those areas first as if it were a software issue it would have most likely disappeared with a fresh windows install.