Dell inspiron 1525 screen goes black

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shmcphrsn

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I have a Dell inspiron 1525 and it is flickering then goes black screen after alittle time or will go black on start up ---and appears by the lights still on that it is on- but the screen is black and when I try using an external monitor it works fine any solutions to this problem?????

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
thank you...i don't remember seeing this...the display bezel is the lid...correct.... also..when researching this issue..would upgrading this laptop to windows 7 have anything to do it...

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

The display bezel is what you removed to replace the LCD panel.

The display does not require an operating system to be able to work. When you first power on the computer, assuming the display is working, you should still see something on the display even if it's plain text showing info such as memory amount or pressing a certain key combination to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. This is just the Power On Self Test (POST) phase before control is handed over to a drive containing a master boot record for the operating system.

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you for your quick response. I think I have exhausted every possible option. I have ran ever diagnostic possible. Updated every drive there is as well as windows 7 updates....and still no change. I did notice however that the new inverter board could be the problem....the item they sent me is shorter than the original and when installed ran very hot...so i removed it and put back the original..I have contacted the company and asked for suggestions. Upon running the diagnostics it came up with error code: 2000-0146...which dell suggested i remove the hard drive and put back in place...still no change. So I am not at no other options unless you can suggest other things to try. Thank you

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

Was the new inverter used with the new display panel or the original display panel?

Pressing <Fn> <F8> to switch the video image between the display only, the external device only, or the display and the external device simultaneously doesn't depend on the operating system.

Did you press <Fn> and the up-arrow key to increase brightness to maximum on the integrated display only (not on an external monitor)?

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I have tried everything ....i am currently waiting for the company that sent me the inverter board to respond to the possibility of sending me the wrong board. the new board is shorter than the original..and when attached runs very hot...so i hoping this is the case..they sent me the 14in vs the 15.4in. what about the hard drive error code...should i be prepared to replace it???

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
hello everyone...update on my laptop...fixed the inverter which seem to bring a little more light to the screen but i found a cinched wire that leads from the lid cover...its a white wire. upon tracing this wire it leads from around the left side of the cover under the keyboard. this leads me to believe the keyboard would have to come apart and i would have to change the lid. does anyone know how difficult this process is??

techGuyCT

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
If the problem is sporadic where sometimes the LCD goes black, is this the same problem or some kind of overheating problem? I would hate to replace the LCD or the inverter to only still have the problem. Any help is appreciated before I start to order replacement parts.

Dawid Krysiak

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Same problem here - Dell Inspiron 1525, frequent screen black-out - cathode tubes switched off, but lcd still displays the picture (you can actually see it when it's dark in the room) .
No software problem here i tought about power management failure in windows vista, but it wasn't the problem. What's more, lately, problem occurs when laptop is left alone, what might suggest corelation with power management system (switches off the backlight and is unable to switch it back on again). But i am not convinced.

First i tought of overheating problems, i've cleaned cooling system of cpu/gpu. Less noise, lower cpu temp, but the blackouts problem remains.

So, if LCD still displays the actual image, there is no corelation with top cover movement (no flickering while moving the cover) is there a reason to install new LCD or the problem is in the inverter?

greetz
Dave

Teresa P

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
How did this work out for you Dave? I am reading your post and I am presently having the same problem with my Dell Latitude D620. I took it apart to find one wire bare in a spot, no internal wires broken so I taped it and hoped that was my problem. But of coarse it can't be that easy. Sometimes my screen works, sometimes it's very faint. I'd really love to fix it myself instead of sending it in, but I've run out of ideas of what to check.
Teresa

phil-w

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Have same problem with my Dell 1525...

Swapped inverter but problem persists. Wondering now if it is a supply problem to inverter as fault is exactly the same as with old pcb fitted.

Need to investigate further with a multimeter on DC input to inverter to see if supply is fluctuating as it works fine apart from lcd display..

Typing this plugged into TV's VGA socket !

Phil..

dantm

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I think I have the same problem with a Dell D430 -- a while ago the screen would flicker black but would come back within a split second.

About 10 days ago it went completely black (well actually like others have said -- it can be very faintly seen in the dark or with a flashlight on the screen).

I ordered a replacement inverter and put that in; it worked for about 20 seconds then flickered again and goes to black.

Now I notice that if I power the computer up from 'cold' it will work for about 20-30 seconds after which it goes very dim/black. If I try repeatedly it goes dim right away.

Could this be a power supply or heat issue? I also thought that it may be cables going from inverter to the LCD screen?

phil-w

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I may have an idea of what "could" be the cause of your problem.

It may be heat related but i have now found the cause of my problem.

I too ordered a replacement inverter thinking that all the comments and suggestions pointed to that... However the actual cause of my problem (now fixed) was the tube that lights up the screen. I swapped the inverter and noticed that it worked then flickered, then went off. I could power the laptop up and by toggling between the VGA port and LCD (Have no idea why it made any difference, maybe a surge of current or something !) sometimes it would come on for a few seconds then go black.

Usual things noted, worked on VGA port, screen was still OK but not lit up...

The actual cause was the wire on one end of the tube ( I guess it was a push on connector of sorts) had burn out so it was only touching every so often, sometimes never!

The plastic surround in that area was noticeably burnt and melted. On one instance I managed to get the screen on but flickering. Without the front bezel fitted I touched the bottom left and bottom right of the metal surround (maybe not a good idea in hind sight !, not knowing the output of the inverter ) One side was cool but the other was hot to touch, this was the side I found had the burn out wire. I did a quick fix with a short piece of wire and a soldering iron but wasn't happy to leave it like that. In the end I have replaced the screen complete with new tube and now all is well.

Hope that may help a little or maybe it has clouded the problem even more !

Phil

smilliken

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Do you have any photos you can post of the light tube and wires?

My computer just started this 2 days ago. When attaching the laptop to an HDMI monitor I get nothing. I attached it to a VGA monitor today and it worked for just a few seconds.

Is this the laptop screen or something on the motherboard?

phil-w

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I can't say for certain but it does sound a different problem to mine. Mine worked fine on VGA but never got around to trying the HDMI connector.

No photos I'm afraid

kryten00

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
My Dell Inspiron 1501 now has "black" LCD screen. I can see windows very faintly in the LCD. I often leave this oooooold laptop running for days on end processing video. Problem started 3 days ago and now I am typing this plugged into a VGA monitor. LCD display only works for a few seconds then it fades to black - no extra colors, no nothing. Same problem in BIOS or DOS so it's hardware, not power management or drivers. Worrying part is sometimes it loses sync with external monitor so I can't tell what's going on. With the cost of laptops dropping it may not be worth putting more money into this old reliable computer. 2nd dvd burner failed. Keyboard shot (my bad - i spilled coffee on it a year ago). original HD long gone, 7200RPM replacement ran significantly hotter so have to have cooling fans under it, maxed out memory at 2 count em, 2 gigs, windows vista 32 bit. OK, so it is a dinosaur but I hate to see it go bye bye. someone talk me into replacing the top end (screen/inverter). THanks, Richard

Tongai Mandigora

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

ALL I HAD TO DO WAS GO TO THE DELL WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD THE LATEST BIOS. WHICH IS A05 NOW. ONCE I INSTALLED IT, EVERYTHING WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

himanshushekhar8

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

It worked fine. Removing the battery and long-pressing the power button for 30 seconds. Thanks a lot.
Himanshu, India