Dell Inspiron e1705 No boot, no POST, no BIOS, no display

Xooxer

Estimable
May 4, 2015
My roommate's puppy dumped a whole cup of coffee on his laptop. This is the second time this has happened. I was able to recover the laptop the first time, but... I've cleaned and dried it thoroughly, using water to dissolve the sugar and creamer, and alcohol to dry the board.

The first time I cleaned it, I missed a spot near the PSU, and the laptop wouldn't stay on. It would power on, shut off, power on, shut off. I disassembled it again and cleaned it completely.

Now, it starts, I hear the DVD ROM, the HD I think.. but I can't hear the fans. They may be running, but I don't think they are.

I've tried everything to boot... Damn Small Linux on CD, Hiren's boot CD, even made a dang old USB dos boot drive. Nothing even tries to work. An external monitor receives no signal. Removing components does give some error lights, but no beeps. Maybe POST is being performed.

I'm afraid it may be the mainboard... likely the PSU is shot, but I'm hoping it's fixable.

And yes, I did try clearing the charge by removing the adapter and battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Not sure what suggestions aside from change the motherboard and possibly the CPU and RAM you could have in your situation. You already know how to take it apart and clean it, if that did not work, time to replace hardware.

My suggestion would be remove the hard drive, get a new laptop and dump this one. It's too old to try to fix with buying parts, and you can get a faster used one for about $200 easily, even for about $150 you can get a faster system that is working instead of buying parts to find out you need to buy more parts.