Dell Inspiron i7559 headset mic not detected

santanabar

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi guys, I need some help with my laptop and headset. In case you are not familiar with laptop, it has a single audio jack. When I connect it, sound works perfect, but the headset mic is not detected, as the built in is the one the keeps working.

I dont know if the problem is the jack, that only allows audio (how can i know the audio jack type?), or some kind of condiguration problem.

My setup:
Windows 10
Dell Inspiron 15 i7559
HyperX Stinger headset

Thanks!

Solution
Well, it is possible that your jack is only output, and not a combo jack. It is very common on newer laptops to only have an output. Why they think people won't want to use an external microphone I don't know.

The only way around it, should that be the case, is to A. get a new microphone/headset that has a USB instead or B. get an adapter that can convert your current 3.5mm plug into a USB one.
Well, it is possible that your jack is only output, and not a combo jack. It is very common on newer laptops to only have an output. Why they think people won't want to use an external microphone I don't know.

The only way around it, should that be the case, is to A. get a new microphone/headset that has a USB instead or B. get an adapter that can convert your current 3.5mm plug into a USB one.

Solution