Dell Inspiron N4010 won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harwin21

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting here and I could really use some help. My friend recently lent me their laptop so that I could clean it up and do other general maintenance. After I finished up I set aside.

I decided to turn on the laptop again to make sure everything was running fine about an hour ago, but as the topic says it won't turn on. I've searched online and tried various methods such as taking out the battery and holding the power for 30 seconds, but nothing worked. I was convinced that the laptop might have been dead, but every time I plug in the power adapter one of the lights on the front of the laptop lights up a few seconds then turns off.

Could this possibly be a problem with wiring inside the laptop? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

if someone has a volt meter check the output of the ac block. sometime the go bad at a drop of a hat. if the output looks fine check the power pin on the ac adaptor (if the rubber o-ring is gone it could have shorted the laptop out) or the power pin inside the laptop has a broken solider joint or broke lose. the last would be a dimm or fan failure...and the mb or cpu not turning on so that it wont over heat.

Harwin21

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Okay I'll give a try when I can find my tiny screwdrivers and multimeter.

Also I'm not sure if this will help, but my friend told me that the laptop was constantly freezing prior to bringing it to me. Could that be an issue with faulty RAM?

one_nxtz

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Here's one for the books! My N4010 was doing the same thing. Accidentally I unplugged the touchpad ribbon cable during one of my many attempts to locate the problem and you guessed it, the laptop turned on. I then powered it down, plugged the cable back into the motherboard and boom the problem was back, then removed and the unit powered on no problem. Go figure huh!?

Reactions: gggdei

Miles Day

Honorable
May 17, 2013

This same thing happened to me! Does your N4010 still run reliably with the touchpad unplugged? I'm trying to figure out if I should keep it as a desktop.

frvo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I smile when I read your post because I had the exact same problem. I don't know what could have caused it but I figured... if it magically broke down... then magically will fix itself out! Then that's what I did... I left everything as it was, went to sleep and then when I woke up the next morning I pressed then On button and voilá! It worked! I repeat, I don't know what could have caused the problem but that's what happened....

NADHIL AFIQ

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

i have same problem how to solve it?...only baterrry light on...zz

Kev215

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Me to, also I want the touchpad to be functional as I'll be giving this to my relative.

bkensky

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Hello everyone,
Just fixed the problem by unmounting RAM and remounting them. And the machine turned on.

Hope this works for you guys too... all the best

machr

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Hi, first time posting here. So ive read this entire thread and the responses on this issue but nothing has worked for me, here is my case: dell inspiron n4010 win 7 I3 , so lately the wifi was giving me issues not connecting, I would have to manually reconnect, worked fine. Battery doesnt take a charge but it was on its last left, bought a new ac adapter, have tried all the things everyone mentioned here. Im good fixing computers but I can not find my issue here, laptop is all apart, now when I connect the ac plug power led comes on goes away and sometimes it will turn on, like every other day. the power cable going to motherboard looks fine. Please help. Thanks

vishvesh_dave

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

@Harwin21
I am having Exactly same problem could you share your solution ?
I have been trying to find fault for 70+ hours...
{I have disassembled all parts , still facing same problem with bare Motherboard !!
}

IgorW

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Dear,

Just had the same issue you mentioned and solved while reading your post hahah :).

I noticed when I press the power button, the laptop turns on and off. This only happen when I remove the battery and the lighting cable, and connect the cable again, refreshing the bios I think. If I don't do that, the laptop just ignore the power button pressing.

When I pressed and holded the button, I see the the boot lasting just 1 second more and turning off. Using this, appear a part of boot showing Dell logo.

Then, I pressed and holded the button, when the Dell logo appeared, I released the button, and magically solved the problem permanently! Now I just press once the power button and the laptop works ok. Accidentally discovered that.

I'm not sure, but I think there is a bug on dell's Bios programming.

You might not have the computer anymore because your post was created on 2012, but I'm sharing my experience hoping I can help someone else :).

Best regards!

Anubhav_1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
I really don't have any solution, rather I just came here because I am facing this problem currently.
No charging, no booting, nothing. Just when connecting AC adapter, power LED flashes for few seconds then gone.
Before I was having overheating issues (like my cpu core temperature have been gone upto 88 degree celsius), so I thought of removing everything and cleaning off the fan. But after reassembling, everything is gone, my laptop, my data, my everything.
I don't even know what to do next, as I'm not a techie, plus I cant take it to service center or technician, as I'm a student and have shortage of money spending.
If anyone is still active on this forum please must help :(
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.