Question Dell laptop turns on and in 20 seconds it turns off with a clicking sound, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2023
Laptop Details:
  • Dell Inspiron 15-3568
  • 8GB RAM - 500 GB HDD
  • Intel Core i7-7500U Processor
  • 60W Power supply - Old 4 Cell Lion Battery

Known Issue with the Laptop:
The laptop is too old, Battery is DEAD, It does not charge, the LED screen is broken so I'm using an external monitor.

The Problem
I power on the laptop --> It starts to boot up --> at first the fan isn't spinning after 15 seconds the CPU fan starts spinning --> Windows is loading --> And then Fan speed picks up --> I hear a click and the laptop powers down

Here are the things I know:

• There is no POST issue --> boot happens not an issue with HDD --> The power down happens even if I go into BIOS and stay there for 20 seconds most probably not an issue of over-heating -- 20 seconds seems like an awfully brief time, but I may be wrong

Things I've tried
  • Removing the RAM sticks and booting --> when I do this the laptop DOES NOT power off. It stays on the POST error indefinitely --> Which is surprising removing Battery and booting only on AC power --> Same issue removing HDD and booting --> This brings up the "Select a BOOT device" screen -- > Even from this screen the laptop powers down. Trying either RAM stick independently --> Highly unlikely that its a RAM issue --> I've tried to reset the CMOS battery but nothing changed --> removed the battery and power supply and other any external components then pressing the power button for 20 seconds to drain all power but again it doesn't help --> reapplying the thermal paste - I've done this as well - no help. One caveat here - The paste I am using may be the problem, Let me know if any of you know that this is an issue.

My theories are as follows:
1. Motherboard Issue --> Although I hope this is not the case, it does seem highly likely
2. Battery issue --> Does not make much sense, but could it be that a faulty battery can cause the laptop to spontaneously power down?

Update:
  • Something I just observed - There's a distinct click sound when it powers down

I welcome any other diagnostic ideas!

Appreciate the help.

May 11, 2023
Laptop Details:
  • Dell Inspiron 15-3568
  • 8GB RAM - 500 GB HDD
  • Intel Core i7-7500U Processor
  • 60W Power supply - Old 4 Cell Lion Battery

Known Issue with the Laptop:
The laptop is too old, Battery is DEAD, It does not charge, the LED screen is broken so I'm using an external monitor.

The Problem
I power on the laptop --> It starts to boot up --> at first the fan isn't spinning after 15 seconds the CPU fan starts spinning --> Windows is loading --> And then Fan speed picks up --> I hear a click and the laptop powers down

Here are the things I know:

• There is no POST issue --> boot happens not an issue with HDD --> The power down happens even if I go into BIOS and stay there for 20 seconds most probably not an issue of over-heating -- 20 seconds seems like an awfully brief time, but I may be wrong

Things I've tried
  • Removing the RAM sticks and booting --> when I do this the laptop DOES NOT power off. It stays on the POST error indefinitely --> Which is surprising removing Battery and booting only on AC power --> Same issue removing HDD and booting --> This brings up the "Select a BOOT device" screen -- > Even from this screen the laptop powers down. Trying either RAM stick independently --> Highly unlikely that its a RAM issue --> I've tried to reset the CMOS battery but nothing changed --> removed the battery and power supply and other any external components then pressing the power button for 20 seconds to drain all power but again it doesn't help --> reapplying the thermal paste - I've done this as well - no help. One caveat here - The paste I am using may be the problem, Let me know if any of you know that this is an issue.

My theories are as follows:
1. Motherboard Issue --> Although I hope this is not the case, it does seem highly likely
2. Battery issue --> Does not make much sense, but could it be that a faulty battery can cause the laptop to spontaneously power down?

Update:
  • Something I just observed - There's a distinct click sound when it powers down

I welcome any other diagnostic ideas!

Appreciate the help.
Not an expertwhen it comes to del buti feel likei can recall havinga similar issue with a delli used in the past iirc the clicking was coming from the hard drive from faulty sector after installing new hard drive anda quick fresh windows install everything returned to normal operation. hope that helps and if you haven't figured it out that takes care of it. The del

Status
Not open for further replies.