Dell Latitude e5450 laptop for general business use?

shyam09

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

• Certified Refurbished
    Processor: Intel Core 5th Generation i5-5300U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)
    Windows 8.1 Pro Free Windows 10 Upgrade
    256 GB Mobility Solid State Drive
    8GB (1x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory
    14.0 inch FHD (1920x1080) Touch LCD with Camera
    Intel HD Graphics
    4 Cell Battery
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265AC 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0 LE Half Mini Card
    Internal Backlit Dual Pointing English Keyboard
    INTEL VPRO TECHNOLOGY ADV MGMT FEATURES
    Keyboard Shroud
    Smart Card Reader only (Dual Pointing)

Mainly stuff like quickbooks, office applications, occasional photoshop, or something. I might upgrade the RAM to 16GB (since it's only ~$50). I would be getting this for about $650. Thoughts on this?

The Dell Outlet refurbs are usually good buys. Most of them are in fact new. When someone cancels a custom order, Dell is not allowed to sell it as new even though it never left their warehouse. They have to sell it as a refurb.

The specs on that system are solid for your usage. The price is a hair high, but can be forgiven since it has a 256 GB SSD. 1920x1080 may be a bit small on a 14" screen if you're older. (I'm in my mid-40s and use a 14" 1080p screen, and it's at the limit of what I'd consider comfortable.) I have not seen that particular model myself though.

Depending on how soon you need this, you may wish to wait for a good Dell Outlet coupon to come out. They put out coupons for 20%-35% off every couple months. The problem being that most of the desirable computers are quickly snapped up the moment a decent coupon comes out. Monitor deal sites like slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com to keep tabs on coupons.

shyam09

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

Is this a decent price for it? Or would I be better off getting something more portable and light-weight (like something with an M5Y10)

shyam09

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

This price would be after tax and the coupon. So wasn't sure if this is a good deal or not (Slickdeals mentioned this laptop, but it was specifically a YMMV with an Nvidia graphics card)

The laptop is good if you don't mind the small screen. It can be annoying if you type a lot of long documents or use a lot of rows in excel to have to keep scrolling up and down. This may also be the case for photoshop as you will need to zoom in and out quite frequently depending on what you are doing.

shyam09

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Hmm okay. I was also looking at the ASUS Zenbook UX305FA. They are of course marketed towards two different classes, but was wondering if the Asus could handle office-related tasks as well.