Dec 27, 2018
Hellow, i have a dell precision m6400 workstation,
Specs:
Processor:
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8400
HDD: Toshiba 5200 rpm 250 Gb
Ram: 8Gb
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro FX 2700m

what i really need to know is that, i installed windows 10 64 bit on it tried pro first and then home, later installed linux xubuntu, also xfce version, ubuntu, ubuntuDDE, peppermint, linux mint, its xfce version too, and some more linux os like this all 64bit, all of them gave me alot not responding issue and very slow laptop, then i installed windows 8.1 pro it worked better than all, but also had not responding issue a bit but good! but the os supported by dell itself is Vista and Windows 7 only, i mean drivers were available for them, i tried windows 7 home premimum it also stucks alot... i can't try vista because it doesn't have features or updates that now a days softwares or other things need.

Any suggestion what should i do..? i mean the only solution i see is go to windows 8.1 again and install windows 7 drivers in it for better option.
I can't even upgrade or even change a single thing of it due to financial crisis i can't afford even a $10 thing. so please let me know what else can i do. Thanks :)

Just for knowledge: my relatives had a acer aspire 5742 i5 480M laptop, it support windows 7 and 8.1 only, they tried windows 10 on it but it was slow benchmarks also showed it slow, windows 8.1 also slow i means doesn't respond and slow response while windows 7 worked perfect!

Last edited:
Sounds like you may need to replace the drive in that system if no operating system worked properly. It's an older and slow laptop, if no operating system you tried ran well you are out of luck. Those laptops should have good Linux support so if you were getting issues with them it could very well be due to failing hardware. CPU is pretty slow but the easier to run Linux versions should be OK on it, or use Win 7. Not matter what, without spending some money on at least trying a new drive you are stuck with the thing as it runs now.

xfisthebest

Estimable
Dec 27, 2018
hard drive only reads data..? i experience issue like right click takes about 10+ seconds to show options on desktop. also windows 7 runs slow while 8.1 is better, but drivers i get from dell is os 7 what should i do?

hard drive only reads data..? i experience issue like right click takes about 10+ seconds to show options on desktop. also windows 7 runs slow while 8.1 is better, but drivers i get from dell is os 7 what should i do?

Replace the drive with a new faster 7200 rpm one or a solid state (solid state much much better) use the operating system that has drivers for the system. Win 7 should be no slower than 8.